Surprised No One's Talking About the Big Obamacare Rate Hike Requests???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's gonna be a mess.

It's my understanding that the large hikes requested in the OP are on the part of the insurance companies who took on more risk and as such they would be granted relief from the companies that took on less.
The actual rate hikes that the consumer sees would be much less, probably high single digits.

The obvious flaw in this is that every insurance company is incentivized to cook the books a bit and report larger losses, or smaller profits, than they really are in order to gain reimbursement.
Next comes the federal probes and indictments for health care fraud is my guess.

I believe the average in Oklahoma was ~12% but that was just for inviduals I was told. Group plans were horrible last year but I have no concrete numbers.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's gonna be a mess.

It's my understanding that the large hikes requested in the OP are on the part of the insurance companies who took on more risk and as such they would be granted relief from the companies that took on less.
The actual rate hikes that the consumer sees would be much less, probably high single digits.

The obvious flaw in this is that every insurance company is incentivized to cook the books a bit and report larger losses, or smaller profits, than they really are in order to gain reimbursement.
Next comes the federal probes and indictments for health care fraud is my guess.

Unless they're on the DNC donor list. :(

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just signed up for insurance through work. They are a CA based company and since we don't have Kaiser Permanente out here, I had to go with Anthem Blue Cross. The two decent PPO options were for 450 & 550/mo(total coverage and deductible were the big differences). It's not bad, but its also not great. I can see that being very troublesome for people who don't make that much....and that was just for medical. Dental, vision and life also add on to the total expense.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just signed up for insurance through work. They are a CA based company and since we don't have Kaiser Permanente out here, I had to go with Anthem Blue Cross. The two decent PPO options were for 450 & 550/mo(total coverage and deductible were the big differences). It's not bad, but its also not great. I can see that being very troublesome for people who don't make that much....and that was just for medical. Dental, vision and life also add on to the total expense.

We had to sign up for the "gold" tier with my ins through work... something like $750 a month, I think. The Silver and Bronze plans were slightly cheaper, but the terrible benefits, excessive out of pocket costs and deductibles made them a VERY unattractive option for anyone but THE most healthy and youngest people. Frigging KILLS me to spend that much money out of pocket every month for something that is a total bully racket.

No health savings account options, either. Dammit.

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OBAMA: "Knowing you can offer your family the security of health care, that's priceless. Now, you can do it for the cost of your cable bill, probably less than your cellphone bill. Think about that, good health insurance for the price of your cellphone bill or less." – Speech in Largo, Md., on Thursday.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had to sign up for the "gold" tier with my ins through work... something like $750 a month, I think. The Silver and Bronze plans were slightly cheaper, but the terrible benefits, excessive out of pocket costs and deductibles made them a VERY unattractive option for anyone but THE most healthy and youngest people. Frigging KILLS me to spend that much money out of pocket every month for something that is a total bully racket.

No health savings account options, either. Dammit.

That's what I got...Anthem Blue Cross Gold - PPO C. I was going to do A but it was $100 more a month and the only real difference is that A was "Advantage" and C was "Select" PPO network(didn't read enough to determine the difference but I assume it relates to who accepts my insurance), that and the out of pocket max was a little lower($500 IIRC something like $3k vs $3.5K); the deductibles were the same as was copay, etc.. I wonder if the prices were different because I am working for a CA company? Or did you sign up dependents(family)?

I mainly signed up for Dental as I need some major work done(but I figured I should get medical while I am at it). It's usually cheaper long term to drop dental and find a doctor that will give you a cash discount for cleanings/exams/etc(unless you need major work done as stated).

Latest posts

Top Bottom