SUV Carrying 27 Crashes With Semi, Killing 15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You sound like AOC. You refuse to admit that billions are spent every year dealing with illegals that could be spent on American citizens. We have homeless veterans sleeping in the street while illegals are provided food and shelter. You refuse to answer basic questions about your own beliefs but think your answers to everyone else is the know all end all. OSA has become a cesspool of people like you who post just for your own amusement. Welcome to the ignored list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You just insulted AOC by comparing her to a troll.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So we're willing to screw our own out of a living wage as long as it screws the illegals? I stated common sense facts. And besides, anyone who puts forth the effort can earn a living. No one is being screwed out of a "living wage" which is quite different depending on where a person lives and also depends upon what is arbitrarily defined as a "living wage."

Why not just enforce existing laws on the books that prohibit employing the illegals?It is being done though not conscientiously. Opening up the borders certainly compounds the problem as well. As for "screwing the illegals" as you put it, I believe it is more like screwing the left out of illegally garnered electors.

Isn't that a bit like the concept of passing new gun laws instead of enforcing existing ones? Conceptually, maybe, but what you are calling "gun" laws are in reality 'disarmament' laws which are all unconstitutional, inhumane, subversive, and only necessary in a dictatorship, tyranny, oligarchy, monarchy, or any other form of rule that subjugates the citizenry. Enforcing the existing "gun" laws is immoral, despotic, and ignorant.

Woody

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So we're willing to screw our own out of a living wage as long as it screws the illegals? Why not just enforce existing laws on the books that prohibit employing the illegals? Isn't that a bit like the concept of passing new gun laws instead of enforcing existing ones?

Why stop with minimum wage? Let's roll back the 1.5x mandatory overtime pay for 40+ hours.

Also, child labor laws could be revisited.....

What's this 5-day workweek BS anyhow?

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stated common sense facts. And besides, anyone who puts forth the effort can earn a living. No one is being screwed out of a "living wage" which is quite different depending on where a person lives and also depends upon what is arbitrarily defined as a "living wage."

It is being done though not conscientiously. Opening up the borders certainly compounds the problem as well. As for "screwing the illegals" as you put it, I believe it is more like screwing the left out of illegally garnered electors.

Conceptually, maybe, but what you are calling "gun" laws are in reality 'disarmament' laws which are all unconstitutional, inhumane, subversive, and only necessary in a dictatorship, tyranny, oligarchy, monarchy, or any other form of rule that subjugates the citizenry. Enforcing the existing "gun" laws is immoral, despotic, and ignorant.
I've seen mixed numbers but generally speaking, the numbers have said around 20-25 million Americans (Americans) would benefit from the wage increase. Factoring in inflation that doesn't even keep pace with a lot of the GOP folks that have come out against it because "I shoveled poo for a dollar fifty an hour when I was a kid". As a side note, the numbers show that only about 25% of people making minimum are in teeny bopper demographic. A majority are in the 24-50 year old range. So yeah, I do think we're screwing Americans in that we haven't kept minimum up with inflation. Campaign contribution limits have kept pace with it, why wouldn't wages.... that ought to say something right there.

If we really believed that anyone who puts forth effort can earn a living, then the irony is that all the illegals people talk about are doing that. They are putting forth the effort, when Americans are sitting around on unemployment not wanting to go out into the fields and pick crops, or any of the other jobs that typically hire undocumented labor.

I'll go down this road like I always do --- do you have any proof to support your claim that undocumented persons are voting? Personally I haven't seen it and feel like it'd be more of a national story if that was happening at scale.

Again, the easiest possible way to curb people coming here, is not to subject them to inhumane conditions, treatment, etc. The easiest way it to dry up the ability to work illegally. That would involve a lot of enforcement though --- including on large companies that tend to donate to political candidates. What I've seen in the past is that small businesses when caught generally get penalties that could be considered catastrophic. Compare that to a company like Tyson, who will absorb it and not change their behavior. Until the large companies are penalized enough to stop the practice, then there will always be a supply of labor for them.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the current line of commentary, if we're going to have any labor standards at all, then I don't see how we can continue to defend a $7.25 minimum wage that hasn't been increased in 12 years. I personally don't know of anyone who would be happy if they hadn't had a single raise in 12 years, does anyone else?

That being said, an immediately doubling it and then some isn't the answer. The resulting wage imbalance would cause a lot of issues. I'd say raise it to $9 now, $10 next year and so on. That will allow time for unskilled vs. skilled wages to find balance without triggering massive inflation. Ultimately the answer is that if you want to make more than minimum wage, then YOU have to make yourself marketable to higher wage jobs. That's the best way to get ahead in this world anyway.

Back to my very relevant discussion points on this particular tragedy:

SUV in crash where 13 died came through hole in border fence (yahoo.com)

The 13 people killed in one of the deadliest highway crashes involving migrants sneaking into the U.S. had entered California through a section of border fence with Mexico that was cut away, apparently by smugglers, immigration officials said Wednesday.

Surveillance video showed a Ford Expedition and Chevrolet Suburban drive through the opening early Tuesday, said Gregory Bovino, the Border Patrol's El Centro sector chief. The video has not been publicly released because it’s part of an ongoing investigation.

The Suburban carried 19 people, and it caught fire for unknown reasons on a nearby interstate after entering the U.S. All escaped the vehicle and were taken into custody by Border Patrol agents.

The Expedition crammed with 25 people continued on, and a tractor-trailer struck it a short time later. Ten of the 13 killed in that crash have been identified as Mexican citizens. The Border Patrol said its agents were not pursuing the vehicle before the wreck.

Cont'd at link...

I've posted plenty of times about the dangers unchecked illegal immigration poses. You never hear about 15 passenger church vans stuffed with 45 people crashing for a reason, they're following the laws intended to prevent such tragedies (yes they still wreck, but no more than other vehicles). These coyotes don't care if the migrants they smuggle live or die. :(

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen mixed numbers but generally speaking, the numbers have said around 20-25 million Americans (Americans) would benefit from the wage increase. Factoring in inflation that doesn't even keep pace with a lot of the GOP folks that have come out against it because "I shoveled poo for a dollar fifty an hour when I was a kid". As a side note, the numbers show that only about 25% of people making minimum are in teeny bopper demographic. A majority are in the 24-50 year old range. So yeah, I do think we're screwing Americans in that we haven't kept minimum up with inflation. Campaign contribution limits have kept pace with it, why wouldn't wages.... that ought to say something right there.

If we really believed that anyone who puts forth effort can earn a living, then the irony is that all the illegals people talk about are doing that. They are putting forth the effort, when Americans are sitting around on unemployment not wanting to go out into the fields and pick crops, or any of the other jobs that typically hire undocumented labor.

I'll go down this road like I always do --- do you have any proof to support your claim that undocumented persons are voting? Personally I haven't seen it and feel like it'd be more of a national story if that was happening at scale.

Again, the easiest possible way to curb people coming here, is not to subject them to inhumane conditions, treatment, etc. The easiest way it to dry up the ability to work illegally. That would involve a lot of enforcement though --- including on large companies that tend to donate to political candidates. What I've seen in the past is that small businesses when caught generally get penalties that could be considered catastrophic. Compare that to a company like Tyson, who will absorb it and not change their behavior. Until the large companies are penalized enough to stop the practice, then there will always be a supply of labor for them.

Data for your numbers?

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Data for your numbers?
Awwww, I thought I was going to get the same "just accept what I say" thing in my favor that everyone else wants. But since I don't buy that crap, here, have some numbers:

In regards to the total number of folks affected. You may recall I indicated around 20-25 million on average for what I'd seen. Here are some examples higher and lower:
In regards to the demographics of who makes minimum wage:
Pew Research - I don't like their presentation format but they break out 50% being 16-24 and I suppose the other 50% as "over 24" though they don't state that. Sub dividing that first number they indicate the 16-24 range is split about 50/50 between 16-19 and 20-24.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/09/08/who-makes-minimum-wage/

The EPI has a nice write up on this as well:
https://www.epi.org/publication/rai...would-lift-pay-for-nearly-40-million-workers/

Much of the numbers fall on the Bureau of Labor Statistics Reporting though:
https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2018/pdf/home.pdf
https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2019/pdf/home.pdf
https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2020/pdf/home.pdf

Anything else?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awwww, I thought I was going to get the same "just accept what I say" thing in my favor that everyone else wants. But since I don't buy that crap, here, have some numbers:

In regards to the total number of folks affected. You may recall I indicated around 20-25 million on average for what I'd seen. Here are some examples higher and lower:
In regards to the demographics of who makes minimum wage:
Pew Research - I don't like their presentation format but they break out 50% being 16-24 and I suppose the other 50% as "over 24" though they don't state that. Sub dividing that first number they indicate the 16-24 range is split about 50/50 between 16-19 and 20-24.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/09/08/who-makes-minimum-wage/

The EPI has a nice write up on this as well:
https://www.epi.org/publication/rai...would-lift-pay-for-nearly-40-million-workers/

Much of the numbers fall on the Bureau of Labor Statistics Reporting though:
https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2018/pdf/home.pdf
https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2019/pdf/home.pdf
https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2020/pdf/home.pdf

Anything else?

Nope...

...just trying to keep you honest.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always have to offer a question when someone speaks or writes that "X" number of illegals are actually visa overstays...

...So, if we have NO WAY of knowing just how many sneak across the border, how can we put ANY KIND of number on them. I'm pretty sure none of them are "checking in" somewhere so that we know the actual numbers.
I had the same thought. I assume they get the number from those they catch or investigate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom