SW 340 PD - scratches on cylinder face?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
UPDATE: Heard back from S&W already; I sent pics to them and they said judging from the photos, it could either be lead splatter or very mild erosion. The tech warned me again about shooting light magnum loads under 120 grain, advised me to keep an eye on it if I intended to shoot more .357 magnum rounds out of it especially, but with .38 special ammo I should be good to go. Well, we shot it today with 130 and 158 gr .38 Special standard pressure rounds and man oh man, does it ever handle and shoot well, with those. The DA trigger is very nice, one of the best I've had in a J-frame. It stages precisely, if you're into that sort of thing, (not that I would be doing that in a defensive situation where I was having to use this gun for real and I know it's not a good way to train but I enjoyed it anyway). It is super lightweight; I like the big fiber optic front sight and the deeper ditch rear, and I like the way it shoots. I don't think the fella I traded with for this was trying to get over on me. He told me he had never fired .357 magnum rounds through it, and I have no reason to doubt him. Did somebody before him do that though? Shoot some prohibited, too light/too fast ammo? Maybe; probably even. But as has been said by a few folks who responded here, it's not a big deal...at this point. My intention with this light little revolver is to load her up with some .38 Special Hornady CD or some of the Federal 148gr wadcutters with a speed strip of 158 gr SJHP rounds or more wadcutters in reserve and carry on for those times I need a small, light gun like this. She cleaned up nicely, there is no evidence that any more peening, erosion, or lead splatter took place other than some powder marks on the sides of the cylinder. I cleaned and wiped the gun down with Breakfree CLP, and she's now in service.

Oh, in comparison, we also shot a regular Airweight J-frame, with Stag Magna Style grips on it, and the Airlite Ti 340PD was actually the lesser of the two in the "ouch that hurts my hand" department. Probably because the Airweight had the Stag Magnas and the Air Lite Ti has the Hogue Rubber boot grips. I don't much care about recoil anyway, I kinda even dig it cause it lets me know I just shot something for real, so I will be getting a set of nice slim Magna Style or maybe some nice wood or laminated boot grips for it too. Altamontco.com has a good selection.

Overall, I'm happy with it. But I am going to keep an eye on it for any potential issues that might arise with the titanium cylinder and all and the top strap, which does have the steel reinforcement shield at the forcing cone/top strap that I understand S&W put in later models of these 340 and 360 PD revolvers.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See, you missed an opportunity here. You should've done an Align Right on the text in your post, then you could've said it was because you were having to type left-handed because the gun blew up.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See, you missed an opportunity here. You should've done an Align Right on the text in your post, then you could've said it was because you were having to type left-handed because the gun blew up.

Dang! I hate it when that happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got these in the mail. Midway has (or at least had) them in stock. I bought a couple just to have.

Attachments

• A7A6BFBC-9CB6-46D1-9B5C-B627D4B2D111.jpeg
    A7A6BFBC-9CB6-46D1-9B5C-B627D4B2D111.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 132

Latest posts

Top Bottom