SW Model 36 Gurus - Please Help Identify & Value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be really interested in more pictures. I'm not convinced that it's a model 36. It looks more like a 38 M&P (pre-model 10.) I think the model 36 or Chiefs Special always had a coiled main spring. The one in your picture has a strain screw in the grip, indicating a flat main spring.

If my suspicion is correct, I'd put it between $500 and $650 in that condition.

For reference (and because I can't help myself.) This is a round butt 38 M&P:

This is a 1955 Chiefs Special (pre-model 36):

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
7E36560E-EEC0-4904-9D34-3F04DE34D51F.jpeg
I only have one with a half moon and it’s a 38 terrier in 38 s&w not 38 special

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure on values for collectible handguns, etc. - but in my experience, I've found the "Blue Book of Gun Values" to be so far off when it comes to some collectible foreign rifles as to be absurd. So it may be accurate for many things, and many guys put their trust in it, but after seeing some of the values of some of the things I've been interested in, I don't trust it at all.
That's what gave me pause! 400% markup just doesn't seem right. We aren't talking about a 1 of 1 engraved Colt Walker here!

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice catch on the 6 shot, I think you're right! The pictures posted earlier are the only one's I have. He only posted 1 pic on MeWe, but sent me the other two privately. The serial number does match up to 1955, but that applies to models 36, 37, 38, 49, 50 and pre model number versions. I don't believe now that this is a unicorn model 36, but it might be worth trading a little compact 9mm for it as the seller wants. You can barely make it out on the barrel, but it is a 38 SW SPL and not a 38 SW (short).

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be really interested in more pictures. I'm not convinced that it's a model 36. It looks more like a 38 M&P (pre-model 10.) I think the model 36 or Chiefs Special always had a coiled main spring. The one in your picture has a strain screw in the grip, indicating a flat main spring.

If my suspicion is correct, I'd put it between $500 and $650 in that condition.

For reference (and because I can't help myself.) This is a round butt 38 M&P:

This is a 1955 Chiefs Special (pre-model 36):

The folks over at the SW forum tend to agree.
1.jpg

I appreciate all of the info. I'm going to go ahead and pass on this one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom