SW Model 36 Gurus - Please Help Identify & Value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was presented with an opportunity this evening to acquire what appears to be a good condition Chiefs Special dating to 1955. I'm far from a S&W expert, so I'd really appreciate your opinions regarding this pistol.

It shows serial number of 595xx, which by my quick research shows to be made in 1955, which lines up with the current owners story. He said this thing was bought new by his grandfather in 1955, and sat in his nightstand for over 50 years. There appears to be a very slight turn mark on the cylinder. It has the standard (non flat) cylinder latch. The bluing looks good from the pictures I have (same pics posted here). It has the diamond checkered grips and half moon sight.

The blue book on this one says to add 400% for a half moon front sight! I'm not sure what is so special about it, but this revolver appears to have one.

What I'd really like is your more seasoned knowledge regarding specifics of this pistol, and it's possible current realistic value.

36.jpg 36-2.jpg 36-3.jpg bb 36.JPG

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hard to pin down a current realistic value, but it may be a long time before you see one like that again. I love love love early j frames. I'd snatch that one up in a heartbeat.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Add 400% for half moon front sight???

So.... if it's a 95% gun, it's worth $495 according to that book, then you ADD 2 grand because it's a half moon front sight? So that gun is valued at $2500???

Wowzers. Hope you get a good deal on it.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure on values for collectible handguns, etc. - but in my experience, I've found the "Blue Book of Gun Values" to be so far off when it comes to some collectible foreign rifles as to be absurd. So it may be accurate for many things, and many guys put their trust in it, but after seeing some of the values of some of the things I've been interested in, I don't trust it at all.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful. Let me get my SCofSW and take a look. The serial is on the bottom of the grip. If you’ll pm it to me, I might be able to narrow it down to an appropriate month of manufacture.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure on values for collectible handguns, etc. - but in my experience, I've found the "Blue Book of Gun Values" to be so far off when it comes to some collectible foreign rifles as to be absurd. So it may be accurate for many things, and many guys put their trust in it, but after seeing some of the values of some of the things I've been interested in, I don't trust it at all.
This is correct. Even the SCofSW is way low on values but the info is good.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that listed last night. Did he decide to take cash offers, or is he still only interested in trades? I can't really help with a value, but it's worth far more than what he was asking for in trade.

I haven't seen very may square butt Chiefs Specials that old.

EDIT:
Please see my additional posts. I'm pretty sure this is not a Model 36.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw that listed last night. Did he decide to take cash offers, or is he still only interested in trades? I can't really help with a value, but it's worth far more than what he was asking for in trade.

I haven't seen very may square butt Chiefs Specials that old.
Was it listed here or somewhere else?

Latest posts

Top Bottom