Swampratt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man was that crazy!
So I am almost late getting to Perry I allow the hour and 5 minutes it takes to get there from Yukon.
Yea no toll roads for me I am a tight wad.

So battery is pretty old in the Corolla and it goes CLICK CLICK when I go to start it. It has been cranking slow for a couple weeks.
I have my other cars in the back yard but lumber stacked up by the gate so I need to move all that and jump into the 57 chevy.
Head to the gas station and fill it up.
I have no idea of the time because I have no cell phone and I do not ever set the clock on the radio I don't know if that old radio has a clock.
No speedometer No gas gauge.
I haul butt to Perry finally.
3.00 gears in the Ford 9" rearend and TH 350 transmission spinning some 29.5" tall mud and snow tires.
4200 rpm down the highway I get there 2 minutes early.

Any way onto the good story.
I am leaning in the truck window talking with kwaynem in a parking lot off to the side of a gas station.
This car/suv pulls up and some guy with an odd accent asked me to come over.

Him and his family look really dressed up and he stated he ran out of gas or just almost out of gas and had his wallet stolen and does not have any money for gas and pointed at the fuel gauge and sure enough on E ....... He pulled a fat Gold ring off his finger and said he was from Dubai and mined gold there and would give me that ring for gas money!!!

He said it is 18 carat gold and handed it to me, I flipped it over and seen the stamp.
I say what am I going to do with a gold ring. I don't wear any jewelry. I don't need a gold ring.
He said do you know where Dubai is I said NO is it up north or something.
NO Not up north.
I hand his ring back and said I do not want your ring.
So you say you had your wallet stolen ..Do you have any American credit cards..NO I don't.

His wife and family in the suv and they are pleading that it was stolen and do not have any money. I tell the guy show me your pockets.. He said what?

His son told his dad he wants to see your pockets..Yea man get out show me your butt and I pat my hind end.
He steps out of the car I look at his butt and sure enough empty pockets.. nothing in front pockets either.

I told him man that sucks and reach into my wallet and hand him $10 he was thankful and went and put gas in the car.

When I got back to the truck and told kwaynem he said I don't know how far he will get on $10.

Crazy..Obviously I am a fool as I bet that ring weighed at least 1.5 ounces it was a fatty.
All I could think of on the drive back to Yukon was I wonder if 20 or 30 bucks would have bought it.
Then got to thinking of MadMax and how precious Gasoline was and water was and this guy having only Gold to trade for something really useful.
And I turned down his gold.

When I had it in my hands I first thought is this real Could it be lead OOH I could melt it down and make a bullet.
I did not share that thought with kwaynem.

His wife was in the back seat with another teen child and his oldest son in the front with him and they all had gold stuff on wife with big gold hoop ear rings and guys with rings and gold necklaces that were thick.

Really nice people.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You told me to drive slower on the way back home or I said I was going to go slower..That did not happen.
People were moving pretty fast and then this Challenger passed me I was taching 3100rpm so about 85MPH.

Yep that ain't happening.
I chimed in and trying to get lolly gaggers out of the fast lane was a bit difficult.
Cruised a lot of the way back home in front of that car running running 4400 rpm.

Years ago in my 47 dodge truck I had 2.75 gears and the same 29.5" tall tires and TH 350 running behind a vette for 15+ miles at 6500rpm.
You should appreciate that kwaynem and the engine I had in the truck is the one in my 57 right now..but smaller cam then. it was a 268H on a 106LSA and would rev to 7200rpm before valve float. I only ran 80 psi seat pressure on the springs.
I wanted to see how low I could go and still have plenty.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You told me to drive slower on the way back home or I said I was going to go slower..That did not happen.
People were moving pretty fast and then this Challenger passed me I was taching 3100rpm so about 85MPH.

Yep that ain't happening.
I chimed in and trying to get lolly gaggers out of the fast lane was a bit difficult.
Cruised a lot of the way back home in front of that car running running 4400 rpm.

Years ago in my 47 dodge truck I had 2.75 gears and the same 29.5" tall tires and TH 350 running behind a vette for 15+ miles at 6500rpm.
You should appreciate that kwaynem and the engine I had in the truck is the one in my 57 right now..but smaller cam then. it was a 268H on a 106LSA and would rev to 7200rpm before valve float. I only ran 80 psi seat pressure on the springs.
I wanted to see how low I could go and still have plenty.
Lol I wish you lived closer lol that’s a great old Chevy you have there

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks kwaynem I built it all and it it breaks it is my own fault.
I wonder if that guy goes back home and tells those friends of his that the people in Oklahoma are funny or nice or something
Probably crazy Okies.

Yep my motor head friends have moved away or grew up for the most part.
I found a couple younger guys that are about speed and I have a set of Edelbrock heads in the garage I am porting for one young kid.
He has a 2015 supercharged 500 to the wheels not stock and my 47 dodge beat him to 85

Latest posts

Top Bottom