Sweet Corn Blanching.?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picking sweet corn tomorrow. I'm going to vacuum pack some cobs whole for later in the year.

I'm finding lots of folks like to blanch the cobs before freezing. And I'm seeing that most people blanch corn for 5-7 minutes before wrapping and freezing.

Personally, that's over cooked for me. When I cook it fresh, I don't boil it for over 5 minutes, that seems like an awfully long time.

Anybody have any experience blanching corn, I was thinking 2-3 minutes tops would be satisfactory.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, 2-3 minutes to keep the sugars as sugar and not turn to starch. Blanching should be done within the hour of picking from articles I've read in the past.
Cool, thanks. I've got the turkey fryer set up with an ice-chest of ice-water to quench after blanching. If things go like I'm planning, should be picked, blanched, sealed and in the freezer easily within an hr of picking.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're still a month out for local melons, aren't we? Have seen some trailers at various locations, but I'm guessing they're all Texas melons..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't had sweet corn roasted or watermelon yet this summer.....bout time I get some
We have pickups with corn here in the NC part of the state but they told me it was southern Ok corn. Melons in the grocery store are Tx or Mexico.
Most melons are the seedless variety which suits me just fine.
Get one of these tools for melons. On amazon they are around 7-9 bucks, but walmart has them for $2.99. You can thank me later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom