Sweet tea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I make sweet tea all the time and have for years. I use Red Diamond and put two cups of sugar in a gallon. It has always been great but over the last few months within just a few days of it being in my fridge it will pour out and be thicker. It will also have a funny smell and taste. I don’t understand what the issue is. I used to make two gallons at a time and it could sit in there for a long time and wouldn’t do this. I don’t understand it. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know as I never use tap water for cooking, coffee, or tea.

This more than likely will fix your issue IMO, it actually makes coffee and tea taste better IMO.

A66CA11D-2FB5-41F0-87AF-42C20D0A90A7.jpeg

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had only heard of Red Diamond premade tea in the refrigerated section but googled and see they have tea bags too which I guess you're referring to. I'm a Lipton only guy but the only time I've had tea get darker or have a film on top is when I used what that wasn't reverse osmosis from the store refill stations. If I use anything other than 'drinking water' like 'spring water', it'll turn.

If you've been making it all this time with no issues and then now having issues, my guess is it's the water. Any train derailments near you lately? :)

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I used Red Diamond all the time and it started mildewing my Bubba cup during the day. Something changed in it but Im not sure what. So we switched to Milo's but Im still very apprehensive. So far, so good but we'll see.

Milos is about the only sweet tea I can drink now. Red diamond isnt as good as it used to be.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shew, I could buy a lot of bottled water for the price of that thing.
Actually you can’t the unit $250/$275ish, with two black filters and it’s related heavy metal / fluoride filter. Each filter make 3000 gallons, installEd in pairs (6000 gallons) The unit takes up to 4 filters.

I use about a gallon a day so they are good for about 16.4 years at that rate.
The heavy metal filters are 1000 gallons, two is 2000 gallons. They recommend changing those every year as they have active charcoal in them to improve flavor. On tap water I replace them after a couple years, they should be good for three times that but @ $60 I’m not riding those out, actually the black filters take out most of it.

That’s a lot of cases of water. I’m concerned about micro plastic in any plastic containers.

Anywho off topic and doesn’t belong here, I did my research and this was my choice. I have lake Oologah a block away or can use any source clean or polluted. It’s part of my emergency water plan I use every single day. I usually store 10 gallons and make water once a week. Clean every three months.

https://time.com/5581326/plastic-particles-in-bottled-water/

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My theory is, where does bottled water actually come from, and how do I know it's that much better than the tap water. Our town uses mostly well water with some supplement from OKC- around 10%. all water lines and the treatment plant have all been updated new in recent years. I drink more than a gallon of water a day in the warm months and as much as I can in the winter- just don't crave it as much. Coffee and tea made with straight tap and looks and taste fine, but we do have a single serve machine. When I make tea- its just enough for a couple glasses, since I am the only one who drinks it. Bottled water is not that great a deal to me. I would rather have the cost of all that for a new piece or something.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom