Sweet tea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gosh, you guys must be rich, buying store bought tea.

We fix our own tea. Lovely bride (or sometimes me) boils a big pan of tap water, and adds tea bags. I always drink mine unsweeten, and lovely bride (of 54 years) always puts sugar in her's. Never a complaint.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gosh, you guys must be rich, buying store bought tea.

We fix our own tea. Lovely bride (or sometimes me) boils a big pan of tap water, and adds tea bags. I always drink mine unsweeten, and lovely bride (of 54 years) always puts sugar in her's. Never a complaint.
So where do you get the tea you use? I’m assuming a store rich guy ;)

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unrelated, but this makes me think back about 20 ish years ago. Sweet tea wasn't nearly as popular in OKC then. We had quite a few client's from the south come up here and I loved seeing the look on their face when they ordered sweet tea in a restaurant and the waitress would point to the sugar packets on the table - with the implied, 'yeah dumba$$ put some sugar in it.' It would take a minute for the southerner to determine if they were joking or not. They weren't.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unrelated, but this makes me think back about 20 ish years ago. Sweet tea wasn't nearly as popular in OKC then. We had quite a few client's from the south come up here and I loved seeing the look on their face when they ordered sweet tea in a restaurant and the waitress would point to the sugar packets on the table - with the implied, 'yeah dumba$$ put some sugar in it.' It would take a minute for the southerner to determine if they were joking or not. They weren't.
Southerners don’t order sweet tea or iced tea. That’s the expectation when you order tea in the south, it’s iced and sweet. It’s fun when I forget that factoid and order tea in Georgia or SC.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Southerners don’t order sweet tea or iced tea. That’s the expectation when you order tea in the south, it’s iced and sweet. It’s fun when I forget that factoid and order tea in Georgia or SC.
You know, now that I think about it, that probably is how it went. Order tea, then ask if they have sweet tea, then get directed to table sugar.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a regular tea guy, no sugar, and I hate the term "unsweet". Just reading about the OP's two cups of sugar rotted my teeth.

I took a bus trip one week from Denver to North Carolina and back. I noticed the iced tea got sweeter the farther east we went. In NC, you couldn't get regular tea.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a regular tea guy, no sugar, and I hate the term "unsweet". Just reading about the OP's two cups of sugar rotted my teeth.

I took a bus trip one week from Denver to North Carolina and back. I noticed the iced tea got sweeter the farther east we went. In NC, you couldn't get regular tea.
Yeah, I'm the same way. And when you order unsweet these days it's about 50/50 chance. I usually make it two words - UN (pause) sweet.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a kid was raised on Griffin loose tea that mom boiled in a small sauce pan then poured into a gallon container with a cup of sugar wasnt anything better "well almost we enjoyed the soft drink once a month that we got".

Latest posts

Top Bottom