Sweet tea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Enjoying the thread. Yep, I state on this site many places that I cook 99% of my food and eat a wide varity of dishes, but this thread took me back to my very first encounter "helping" Mom in the kitchen. My Mom showed me how to dip out a 1/3 cup of sugar and carefully put 3 of them in the glass pitcher for us to have tea ready for when Dad got home from work. She had a little metal tea pot she poured boiling water through the top basket of tea leaves and then poured that "juice" into the sugar, and then filled it with tap water. Yep, probably more than 70 years ago BC I could have been no more than 4-5yo and things have not changed much. Now I use the microwave to boil, and the tea comes in a bag to strain it, but it works and tastes the same. I stopped adding sugar when I was about 30yo, and started drinking coffee also in the mornings about the same time. Thanks for posting. And yes Cains is still on my list, but where I normally shop does not always have it.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I do wonder about (and this may be barking up the wrong tree).
At the grocery store some bags just say "sugar" and some specify like "pure cane sugar."
Does the cheap stuff have beet sugar or something else that might make a difference in tea?
Yes "sugar" is beet sugar while cane sugar is just that. Now white sugar is refined so it should be chemically sucrose C12 H22 O11 however there are likely some differences in the process between the 2 sources.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone been to HteaO yet? They have like 29 different flavors of tea. They are popping up all over OKC. Mustang has one going up right now. Yo can go inside and get a sample cup and try them all. They use filtered water and ice and cane sugar. I like their peach, coconut, and blueberry teas.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m confused on some of the prior comments. We are the south. Not the Deep South, but still the south. And I’m darn proud of it. Anytime I’ve traveled out of the south people would always make comments about me being from the south because of my accent. And the girls in California loved it!! But I was married so it didn’t matter. Lol.

Anyway, I have been using great value sugar for a while. Maybe that is the problem. I used to use C&H. Maybe that is the problem, maybe not. Guess we will find out.
Ha, ask people in the south… they will laugh at you for that comment. They refer to the south as basically the confederate states. Oklahoma wasn’t one.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone been to HteaO yet? They have like 29 different flavors of tea. They are popping up all over OKC. Mustang has one going up right now. Yo can go inside and get a sample cup and try them all. They use filtered water and ice and cane sugar. I like their peach, coconut, and blueberry teas.
It was ok, I like just iced black tea or green tea. Will let oranges slices soak in it some times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom