SWFA SS 1-6x24 30mm Scope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About two weeks ago I finally received the new SWFA SS 1-6x24 FFP scope. I have had plenty of time to work with the scope, so I thought that I would write a review. I ordered the scope in May of 2012, and received it in this month. SWFA made a lot of people upset over the past few months because they kept posting a release date that never came true. Personally, I don't sweat the small stuff and my story is a little different. Had it not been for their updates, I would not have built the rifle that the scope sits on. In November of 2012, parts were still easily had and so I started to assemble a rifle for this scope. Had I have waited longer, I would probably have a scope with no rifle. Now that I have my hands on it, I can tell you it was worth the wait.

The SS 1-6x24 is a first focal plane optic with illumination. Removing the scope from the box, you can feel that this is not a cheap optic. It feels very well built and has heft to it for its size. The quality of glass is incredible. In the daytime, the optic has great brightness and clarity. In low light conditions, the optic is still plenty bright enough to be useable given its small 24mm objective. It is impressive to say the least. The reticle is a Mil based crosshair reticle. SWFA refers to it as a "Donut: Circle/Mil-Scale". It features a center dot with milling cross hairs. It is simple and useful. Any more than this, in my opinion, would clutter the reticle and be useless on a 6 power scope. I have read some complaints about illumination bleed through on the outside of the scope at 6 power. It certainly has some bleed through, but only if you are not properly positioned behind the scope. It is no different than the black you will see around a non-illuminated scope if you are not in the proper position. The only other thing worth pointing out is that in bright daylight conditions, the reticle is not as bright as an Eotech. You can still see the illumination, but for rapid shooting, the reticle is clear enough without illumination that rapid engagements are very easy. Through initial testing yesterday, the optic flawlessly passed the 'Box Test' at 100m. All adjustments tracked straight and true. Like other scopes in the SS line, the turrets have solid brass internals and feature positive click adjustments. The only thing the scope really needs, is a throw lever. I have heard that the throw lever for the SWFA SS 1-4 will work, but have not personally tried it. Below you will find some pictures of the reticle in dark conditions. This scope is tough to beat at its $999.99 price point.

At 1x power:

At 6x power:

100m 5 shot Group:

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the doughnut reticle for sure. I'm skeptical about the FFP on that low power scope though. I had a Razor 1-4x FFP and the reticle was SUPER small at 1x (but it didn't have the doughnut). And I found myself not able to even use the mils on it, until I was zoomed in to the 4x range anyway. Which killed the reason to have FFP. I also thought that the 4x at the top end was lacking, like I wanted more.

I really wanted to try the 1-6x SS scope as it has a little extra on the end with the 6x, has the big circle for close stuff and I know they make superb glass. However, I just can't get myself to buy another variable optic. The weight vs what you get is what is holding me back. Plus my past experience has shown me that the eye relief on these variable scopes are lacking. The reticle is not hard to find when shooting from a bench or standing, but is tough in more awkward positions. Of course this is all my opinion from my own personal experience.

I wish you were closer and I could check it out first hand. Or if you're going to the Thunderbird Run 'n Gun, I could check it out there. Either way, I hope it serves you well.

I've opted to run a compM4 with an aimpoint twist base mounted behind it that I use for my NVD and a 6x PA magnifier if I'm bench shooting. It's the best thing I have found for me, yet. Still not my "perfect" setup. There is always going to be compromise. Thanks for posting the pics and review. Btw, that's an all around good looking rifle you have there.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You make some really great and valid points. There wouldn't be much of a need in the FFP reticle if not for the donut. The mil marks are barely visible and virtually unusable in field conditions. There really isn't a point to the powers between 1 and 6 either. However, with the donut and Vltor stock, I can smash my cheek against the stock and I am on. It's not as fast as an Eotech or Aimpoint by any means. I don't have extensive time behind it, but if I jump on the ground and shoot from my side, I just have to have my cheek on the stock and I can see the reticle and donut at 1x. I can have my head positioned past the end of the stock and still see the full donut and center at 1x. Over the next week or so, I'll try some various positions at USSA and see if my opinion changes.

I haven't decided on the run and gun yet, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You make some really great and valid points. There wouldn't be much of a need in the FFP reticle if not for the donut. The mil marks are barely visible and virtually unusable in field conditions. There really isn't a point to the powers between 1 and 6 either. However, with the donut and Vltor stock, I can smash my cheek against the stock and I am on. It's not as fast as an Eotech or Aimpoint by any means. I don't have extensive time behind it, but if I jump on the ground and shoot from my side, I just have to have my cheek on the stock and I can see the reticle and donut at 1x. I can have my head positioned past the end of the stock and still see the full donut and center at 1x. Over the next week or so, I'll try some various positions at USSA and see if my opinion changes.

I haven't decided on the run and gun yet, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

On my side, and on my back shooting between my legs was where I had issues, personally. I think SS is on to something with that doughnut reticle. I haven't seen one first hand, but I can see how it would make sense, and be functional. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how your experience goes with the scope. I hope it becomes THE scope. They're already a great deal at $1k and the 1-6x range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom