swimming pools suck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
if anyone tries to talk you into getting one, slap them across the nipples.

IMO: time+money required > pleasure derived from owning it.
I buy cheap above ground pools and only have to keep chlorine in it. I had nothing but trouble trying to use any other chemicals to balance ph and shock it. Three chlorine tablets in the floater and it stays clear. Scoop the bugs off, vacuum every once in a while. If I get two years out of it, I'm money ahead.

But a dedicated one is a headache. Grew up with an 18x36 with a 10 foot deep end. Dad ended up filling it in and planting a garden instead.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I thought that would be the ultimate luxury, and I would have killed to live in a house with a swimming pool.

Worked at an apartment complex a few summers in my mid teens, which included taking care of the swimming pool.

I wouldn't have one after that. If I bought a house with one, I'd have to consider the cost of filling it in as part of the cost of the house. I have NO desire for one anymore. Just not worth the effort. Not to mention the liability if someone drowns in it.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have an inground and I despise opening it every year. It's not hard but it's expensive and time consuming. And the water cost - holy cow. Repairs aren't cheap either.
The kids love it and the wife loves it. I prefer to be on the water than in it (fishing). The only single plus is that if Biden decides to shut down the country we'll have water for a year or so until the green outpaces the blue and my filters quit working.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate the pool but my daughter loves it. I've been cutting chemical cost down using copper sulfate as an algaecide, but I've got solid green right now from all the pollen and crap coming into it from the air. I'd fill it in without thinking twice if I thought my wife and daughter would let me get away with it.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It costly but worth it!!! Here's how I open mine!
open the pool.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom