Synthetic vs Conventional oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For LS engines or newer stuff which I do not like I would use Driven brand LS oil.
In fact that is what my friends and my cam grinder buddy use in their NOT stock ls engines.
500+ HP deals That do get beat on.

But if the Mobil is working for you and not ticking on start up or sitting there at idle ticking then I see no issue with the choice of oil.

I just can't run an oil that makes my engine noisy.
Never heard of Driven brand LS oil. Where do you purchase the Rotella T6?

Before switching to Mobil-1 many years ago, I ran Havoline oil and had good luck. My auto mechanics teacher in high school swore by Havoline.

I think perhaps engine longevity is more dependent on routine oil changes and how vehicles are driven. I don't drive them hard like I did when a teenager. LOL

Swampratt, you and your buddies I think push them to the limit, like pulling under-rated/over-loaded trailers. :)

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my experience, John Deere diesel engine and hydraulic oil are the best in the business, for equipment and passenger vehicles.

For cars, I only use synthetic, and it’s almost always Mobil 1. For the wife’s Lexus and when I had my BMW they get what the dealership serviced them with, so OE branded synthetic.
Their hydraulic fluid is by far the best.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no clue what my 2007 F150 with 325000 miles on it gets, whatever Robertson Tire puts in it. My Wifes 2019 4 Runner with 70000 miles on it gets whatever Jim Norton puts in it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought my '06 F-150 new, 9-06. Changed out factory oil at 3000. Nothing but Mobil-1, every 15k, until 200k. Then changed to High Mileage. 325k ('19) and gave it to grandson. He is still driving it.

New pick ('14 F-150, 90k) up has AmsOil Full Synthetic, good for 25k between changes.
I pull a horse trailer, cattle trailer, car hauler, boat, 27' RV, on occasion. No problems.

Wif's Lincoln gets what dealer puts in it.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run synthetic on all new engines. If it’s used and has over 150 on the clock I use my judgement. My 95 Chevy runs Dino oil. Doesn’t leak/burn a drop. Small engines the splash lubricate should use non detergent Dino oil only. Doesn’t foam up like detergent or synthetics do.
I have used Rotella T6 Synthetic in 5 Honda Goldwings, 3 over 200k and 2 over 150k and never used a drop and use it in all me ATVs and UTVs. Have used Rotella 15/40 T4 Dino oil in 11 Dodge Diesels, and all my Dozers/Tractors and Equipment with great results.
big fan of Rotella in bikes. Ran 5w-40in my FJR, Bandit and concours. Tested the oil several times. Nothing concerning at 10k

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run synthetic on all new engines. If it’s used and has over 150 on the clock I use my judgement. My 95 Chevy runs Dino oil. Doesn’t leak/burn a drop. Small engines the splash lubricate should use non detergent Dino oil only. Doesn’t foam up like detergent or synthetics do.

big fan of Rotella in bikes. Ran 5w-40in my FJR, Bandit and concours. Tested the oil several times. Nothing concerning at 10k

That was the miles I changed on the Wings. Never a issue. On the first 2001 1800 I bought I had tested 3 first changes to 10k and I sometimes if I was a few states a way run it to 12k to get home and change it at my shop. I had 3 St1100s and same oil in them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom