Tackle Box Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67RS/SSx2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I haven't really fished for more than two decades. I have had an occasional outing but not really FISHED. I decided to change that this year. Spent the day stripping line (more like baling wire) off my reels in preparation for new line. Have been examining my gear to see what needs repaired/replaced. Starting now gives me enough time to be ready for spring.

I saw mention of a "tackle box gun" in another thread on this site and it got me thinking. That might be a good idea for a snake, skunk, or other ornery critter. But I have not done this before and don't know the dos and don'ts of doing so. I recall my grandpa had a .22 pistol in his tackle box. Not looking for firearm suggestions but what would/would not be recommended as far as having a firearm in one's tackle box.

Oklahoma is an open carry state but I would think doing this would require a CCL and certainly security of a loaded weapon is paramount. So what do I need to know bout this topic before deciding if it is right for me?

Thanks!

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't need a CCL. I'd suggest probably reading the latest copy of SDA about carrying in a tackle box, but if you carry it on your person you definitely don't need a CCL, and I don't know why you would in a tackle box.

I would think a small .22 would be fine like a Taurus PT-22 would be inexpensive and about as small as you could get. It's easy to pop the barrel up and change from snake shot to hollow point pretty quickly if you need to. An advantage to a revolver would be you could put two snake shot shells in the first couple of chambers, and hollow points in the rest but I'm not sure you could find one real small. The Heritage Arms .22 revolvers are about as cheap as they come, so if it gets beat up or you lose it it the creek it's no big deal.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to tube fish a lot in farm ponds and some lake coves. Ponds were pretty bad about having snakes and they always seemed curious about that new island in their territory or would try to take fish off the stringer even if fishing the banks.
I had a rather large nonpoisonous water snake get really close to me in the tube one day so I swatted it with the rod tip. Big mistake as it panicked and tried to get out of the water with the tube being the closest thing to dry land.
Scared the crap out of me when it tried to come aboard, but we finally came to an agreement, and it left. Right after that, I came by a .38 caliber Davis Derringer that I kept in one of the pockets with birdshot loads in it.
Note: it's illegal to shoot into water on Corps of Engineer/state owned or most municipal lakes no matter what round your using.
Private waters are the only legal place you can do that, I think.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Note: it's illegal to shoot into water on Corps of Engineer/state owned or most municipal lakes no matter what round your using.
Private waters are the only legal place you can do that, I think.

regardless if it’s Fed or State water… if a snake is trying to catch a ride with me I’m shooting it.

glad I don’t have that problem out here though.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when i use to do alot of pond hopping with a tube i carried a RG 22 revolver with snake shot in a ziplock baggie in one of the pouches on the tube just for snakes after i had one come into the tub with me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when i use to do alot of pond hopping with a tube i carried a RG 22 revolver with snake shot in a ziplock baggie in one of the pouches on the tube just for snakes after i had one come into the tub with me.
After my incident, found out the way to get snakes away from you in a tube is to gently move them away with the tip of the rod, not swat at them like I did. I got this info at the Oklahoma outback hunting and fishing show in OKC. The Oklahoma tube fishing organization had a booth there, so I stopped to ask.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use to keep and RG 22 revolver in my tackle box. Kind of wish I still had it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom