tagging a deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read page 10 of the big game guide...... "All field tags can be any item, so long as the tag contains the required information. The information must remain attached to the carcass UNTIL IT IS CHECKED."

Reading further you will see that once you are issued your e-check confirmation number the number does not have to be attached, rather it must simply ".........remain with the carcass to its final destination.........". In other words if you have a screen shot of your confirmation number and you are with that carcass at all times you can drive it home and hang it up. Granted IF you leave the carcass before arriving at its final destination you need to leave that confirmation number with the carcass

Long story short, since I have a cell signal at my property I don't worry about toting game tags into the field with me.

Last edited:

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read page 10 of the big game guide...... "All field tags can be any item, so long as the tag contains the required information. The information must remain attached to the carcass UNTIL IT IS CHECKED."

Reading further you will see that once you are issued your e-check confirmation number the number does not have to be attached, rather it must simply ".........remain with the carcass to its final destination.........". In other words if you have a screen shot of your confirmation number and you are with that carcass at all times you can drive it home and hang it up. Granted IF you leave the carcass before arriving at its final destination you need to leave that confirmation number with the carcass

Long story short, since I have a cell signal at my property I don't worry about toting game tags into the field with me.
Had a buddy get a ticket once for not having his attached maybe the warden was in a bad mood or something

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, i think Elkstalker is right. once you checked it, it does not say it needs to be attached to carcass. may be a question for a game warden, but i guess it is subjective the way it is worded, could be at the discretion of the warden..

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like a little bit of gray area. Sooo, as soon as you echeck one you are good to go? i guess if you don't have cell service, you tag until you check or echeck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a cell signal you can just e-check your animal on site and forgo the field tagging non-sense.
Some of us don't have a cell signal in our area.
Even if I did, I would still field tag it with my post above about putting it in the mouth so some jerk wad wouldn't try to take my deer.
I probably wouldn't protest until the jerk wad dragged to the road and tried to load it up.
Save me a drag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom