Tailgaters.... ARggggghhhhh....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK.. it finally happened, got nailed by a tailgater... he/she caused a wreck and got away Scott free.

Was minding my own business pulling a trailer merging from highway 51 to H-169 headed south. naturally since I'm not a tailgater, kept my normal safe distance from driver in front of me.

half way through the sweeping right turn, car in from of me (who was tailgating) jams on their brakes. so I slammed on my brakes, causing the person behind me who was following too close to slam into my trailer.

impact knocked my trailer completely off hitch and thank goodness away from the traffic. broke the safety chains clean off, the hydraulic safety brake cable did it's job and slowed trailer down upon separation.

got out of my truck and saw what looked like a 16 year old kid driving. though oh no... his insurance will go thru the roof.
turns out it was his 2nd or third time driving a stick and he was not suppose to be on the highway.

called the cops to document the accident.... naturally the first words out of me was I'm packing... he asked if I had my license... I said yes sir ... could we do this in way not to get this kid in trouble.

he stated yes... this is what to do... so we gave each other all the info needed... most importantly, the cop could testify exactly what happened if things should backup.

looks like parents are electing to pay for damages (under $1,000) instead of reporting to insurance. needless to say the kid was pretty shook up and hopefully learned a lesson about not following too close.

this worst part is the tailgater that caused the accident got away Scott free.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
got out of my truck and saw what looked like a 16 year old kid driving. though oh no... his insurance will go thru the roof.
turns out it was his 2nd or third time driving a stick and he was not suppose to be on the highway.
needless to say the kid was pretty shook up and hopefully learned a lesson about not following too close.

may scare the kid enuf to keep him out of a more serious one later...

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One that really bothers me is people that will pull up as close behind you as they possibly can at a sloped intersection. On our campus, there are some insane hills. Anyone who's ever been to Bikes, Blues, and BBQ on Dickson St. in Fayetteville can back me up. All the geniuses on scooters will pull up behind me at a stop sign, close enough to touch my car. One of these days I'm gonna let it roll back a bit before hitting the gas.

Strokin04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thumbs up for cutting the kid a break, although I hope his parents do not. I hope he learns his lesson and I hope for your kindness that your trailer and truck is repaired quickly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom