Tailhook Comparisons *PICS ADDED*

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If anybody is interested, I've ordered the Mod 1 and Mod 2 and will post pics/comparisons when they arrive.
I'm not sure which will end up on my gun but of all the braces out there, they were the most appealing to me.
Anybody have any feedback for us while we wait?

Mod 1 (using the KAK Tailhook tube):
https://www.gearheadworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=24
https://www.kakindustry.com/tailhook-pistol-buffer-tube

Mod 2:
https://www.gearheadworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25

2 pics showing the ends are basically the same size.
side.JPG

end.jpg

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the idea of the Mod 1, but was afraid of it slipping down the tube being its just held on with the clamp force. I also liked the adjustability of the Mod 2, so I ordered it first. Then I found the KAK Tube for the Mod 1 and like how that would prevent the brace from slipping down the tube...so now I had to order the Mod 1 to try it out.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going on a Tac14 with a Suarez Folding stock adapter.

I think I'll end up with the Mod 1 longterm...between the folding stock and adjustable length, thats a lot going on and moving parts using the Mod 2. With it collapsed, its very short so the adjustability doesnt really do much there.

I guess we will see when the parts arrive!

The Mod 1 and Kak tube for it show they got shipped today...so HOPEFULLY I have parts to play with this weekend.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Updated the first post with 2 quick pics. They are about the same profile on the end. For some reason the Mod 2 always looked "wider" in pics online but its not really.

Some measurements show I'll need to cut a bit of the extra thread off the buffer tube of the Mod 2 to get under the magical 13.5" jazz when using the Suarez folder.

Still waiting on the KAK Tailhook tube for the Mod 1.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a Mod 1 with KAK tube for a while now. Originally it was on my AR pistol, but it got bumped for an SBA3. Now I have it installed on my GP Stribog pending the release of the Safety Harbor collapsible Tailhook brace. I think the Mod 1 with the KAK tube is a great combo. I did end up putting a foam sleeve on the tube to protect my delicate skin from heat and cold.

I'm interested in how you like the Suarez folder. I have a Shockwave with an Ergo brace adapter, and it is a cheek slapping b!tch. Instead of being parallel with the barrel, the adapter angles the brace tube down which I believe is the culprit.

Here's a pic of the Mod 1/KAK brace on my Stribog. Hope you like yours.

IMG_0612.JPG

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had to cut down the Mod2 to hit the magic number and liked it enough with the adjustability that my buddy ended up with the Mod1 for his Tac14.
The tube for the Mod1 came in after I hit the road for a trip so I will get it to him in 2 weeks and maybe we can put each side by side.

Gonna shoot mine for the first time ever tomorrow.
Tac14, Wilson Combat +1, Suarez folder and Tailhook Mod2. Should be fun

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been off in Chicago playing with Hotwheels all week...but I was able to shoot it last Monday and I dig this setup. Tried it in all different configurations and they all pointed and shot well so I'm pretty happy with my setup. Its not something I'd want to take out and shoot a thousand rounds through in one outing....but I put 50 through it in pretty quick order and would have no problem with 100-200 rounds.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy ended up with the Mod1 and Tailhook specific KAK tube I ordered for his TAC14.
He is replacing his SBA3 with this setup using a Mesa Tactical adapter.

Top pic is his Tac14 with the Mod1 and KAK tube for it. (he's way more into the Cerakote thing than I am...so I'm sure the tube and adapter will end up being cerakoted to match the rest of the gun)

56931874_401172180466286_581413695704268800_n.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom