Take a Sharpie to your rear site?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like the others have posted, it’s a pretty common recommendation. I believe part of why it works is that the white dots or bars on some rear sights tend to attract your attention and focus. Blacking out the sight makes it easier to acquire and focus only on the front sight.

I have a few handguns that I’ve painted the front sight bright yellow or orange for more contrast between the sight and target. A base coat of white paint before you paint the bright color seems make the color pop a little more. I find this particularly beneficial on my older revolvers with very minimal sights.

Also, if you practice shooting with a handheld light you may find that night sights aren’t absolutely necessary. Index the light from different positions on your body and see how it affects your sight picture, you might find a particular index that suites you better.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like the others have posted, it’s a pretty common recommendation. I believe part of why it works is that the white dots or bars on some rear sights tend to attract your attention and focus. Blacking out the sight makes it easier to acquire and focus only on the front sight.

I have a few handguns that I’ve painted the front sight bright yellow or orange for more contrast between the sight and target. A base coat of white paint before you paint the bright color seems make the color pop a little more. I find this particularly beneficial on my older revolvers with very minimal sights.

Also, if you practice shooting with a handheld light you may find that night sights aren’t absolutely necessary. Index the light from different positions on your body and see how it affects your sight picture, you might find a particular index that suites you better.

I do the exact same thing to front sites. I also black out rears that aren’t all black on guns I want to keep, and aren’t night sites. Fiber front, black rear site is by far may favorite pistol setup.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I done this quite a bit. Usually to new guns while I’m still deciding if it is going to be a long term relationship or not. Will it justify buying a set of sights? A bit of alcohol or solvent on a q-tip will take it right off when no longer needed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom