Take the HK P7 challenge...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of talk about handgun reliability lately, so why not take the P7 challenge? What is that? Take the extractor completely out of YOUR gun. Slap in a loaded magazine and fire away until the slide locks back on an empty mag. Good luck!

Last edited:

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to carry one and the things I have against it are it got very hot and if I spent much time with any other gun I would forget to squeeze the cocker

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of talk about handgun reliability lately, so why not take the P7 challenge? What is that? Take the extractor completely out of the gun. Slap in a loaded magazine and fire away until the slide locks back on an empty mag. Good luck!

No disrespect for the P-7 love here, but I believe some of the little Beretta auto pistols in .22 and .25 (the Jetfire I think it's called) don't have extractors either.

I didn't like the balance of it. The P7 isn't too heavy for a steel frame pistol, but the weight seemed like it was all at the back. Didn't point or handle too naturally for me.

ETA: It was a slick little unit, and more accurate than me.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of talk about handgun reliability lately, so why not take the P7 challenge? What is that? Take the extractor completely out of the gun. Slap in a loaded magazine and fire away until the slide locks back on an empty mag. Good luck!

Sounds like fun...but there's one problem. I don't have a darn P7 to try it with!

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No disrespect for the P-7 love here, but I believe some of the little Beretta auto pistols in .22 and .25 (the Jetfire I think it's called) don't have extractors either.
The Berettas were direct blowback guns in both .22LR and .25 ACP, both lacking in power (hence their ability to operate as direct blowback guns). The P7, of course, is a gas-delayed blowback gun, and while it comes with an extractor (unlike the Berettas), it can and will function without one. Since most malfunctions in a pistol are either feed or extraction related, it seems that a design that eliminates one or the other potential problem would be very reliable. And the P7 is. (Too bad the P7 didn't work out for you.)

Last edited:

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned many P7s (PSP through M8 and even a factory nickel P7M13) and I think they're really neat guns.

As 'neat' as they are I have no idea what niche they serve?

They're heavy for what they are (lower capacity, single stack 9mm)

Difficult to CCW due to their crazy shape/weight characteristics.

If I wanted another 'neato overpriced' 9mm I'll take a P210 or P88

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Niche? Best 9mm carry gun in the world.
Low capacity? If nine headshots don't get you out of a jam, reload. The accuracy of the P7 is unquestioned.
Difficult to carry? I'll admit you need a fine holster (read: expensive leather) to CCW one. One of the slimest full size guns made, and slick-sided to boot. Carries like a dream in a VM II, a CQC/S, or a ISP-LP.
Heavy? See the above about holster selection.
Reliable? Again, take the P7 challenge--take the extractor completely out of YOUR gun and try to shoot it.
Overpriced? Well, yeah, it'll take $1000-$1200 to buy a PSP these days, and, yes, you can buy two lesser pistols for that kind of money, but you do get what you pay for with the P7. They are still selling for double their original retail price, when and if you can find one for sale.
Does everyone who has ever had one, love one? Well, as someone once said, find the most beautiful woman in the world, then remind yourself that there is at least one man who roundly hates her guts.

Last edited:

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Niche? Best 9mm carry gun in the world.
Low capacity? If nine headshots don't get you out of a jam, reload. The accuracy of the P7 is unquestioned.
Difficult to carry? I'll admit you need a fine holster (read: expensive leather) to CCW one. One of the slimest full size guns made, and slick-sided to boot. Carries like a dream in a VM II, a CQC/S, or a ISP-LP.
Heavy? See the above about holster selection.
Reliable? Again, take the P7 challenge--take the extractor completely out of YOUR gun and try to shoot it.
Overpriced? Well, yeah, it'll take $1000-$1200 to buy a PSP these days, and, yes, you can buy two lesser pistols for that kind of money, but you do get what you pay for with the P7. They are still selling for double their original retail price, when and if you can find one for sale.
Does everyone who has ever had one, love one? Well, as someone once said, find the most beautiful woman in the world, then remind yourself that there is at least one man who roundly hates her guts.

The Beauty of the internet is that anyone can type whatever they want...

I'm glad you enjoy yours!

Latest posts

Top Bottom