Taking my 18 yo daughter shooting today for first time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
orange, there was no one on the planet more afraid of guns than I was when GC drug me out to the gun range. Seriously. When I was in the 7th grade I lost a really close friend to an accidental gunshot wound. He bled to death before the ambulance got there. The only reason I went to the range with GC was because he was insistent that I at least learn how to handle guns safely as they were gonna be in the house. If there was ever anyone who was at the range under duress it was me.

I was an absolute basket case. Anyway ... there was no .22 on the table that day. There were a couple of different 9mms, a couple of .45s, a .357SIG and a .38 revolver. I shot them all. One of the .45s scared me so bad I dropped it and started crying (oddly enough this was towards the end of our session) ... I just didn't shoot that gun any more. I wound up learning how to shoot with the 19 he had out there that day.

I am eternally grateful to GC for several things, not the least of which are:

1. He didn't handicap me with the "oh you are a new shooter so we have to be careful with recoil" drama ... If kids 7 and 8 years old can shoot "regular" caliber guns, so can a grown woman ... I can't tell you how many times I've seen men at the range use the "oh you can't shoot that, the recoil is too rough for a woman" nonsense just to bolster their own egos ... One of the best women shooters I've ever seen was 5 ft tall, weighed 100 pounds, soaking wet and her favorite gun was her 454 Casull. It was a riot to watch guys who did not know her watch her shoot that gun!

2. Even when I freaked out (and I freely admit I freaked out) he didn't make a big deal out of it. Just said, "Well, maybe we should just put that one away for now. You know, that other one you shot a while ago is the same caliber, but different guns feel different to different people. That particular gun isn't for you ... right now anyway." And we moved on. He didn't force me to shoot again ... BUT he made sure we stayed at the range until I shot at least another magazine or so before we left. He was the one who told me later you NEVER leave the range on a bad note ... Unless someone is bleeding profusely, of course!

3. He let me pick and chose the guns I wanted to shoot. He didn't tell me what was "right" for me because I am a woman ... or because I was a new shooter ... or because I had "small hands" ... None of that preconceived stuff. He let me make my own decisions and then when it worked out, great ... and if it didn't, well, then we hashed it out and found something else that did work.

4. He didn't let me be intimidated by other people (read: guys) at the range. Back when I first started shooting it was really unusual to see another woman at the range. Not so much now, thank goodness but still I see men and women both standing around watching other women shoot like it is some kind of novelty ... Especially if that woman is hitting the bullseye consistently ... Don't let her be distracted by those folks. They don't matter ... All that matters is that she learns something, stays safe and has fun!

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have them all pistols in the pic laid out on the table. When she gets home we will go over all of them and reiterate safety. She already said she likes the look of the wheel gun. I raised her right! :D

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From my vast experience starting mostly kids out I would encourage a lot of 22lr followed by a few of the others.
Maybe a few goofy/fun targets.
I've had good luck with canned root beer.

Also what you are doing is a very good thing. Have fun.

CharlieMurphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Throw her in the range with a loaded firearm, preferably full auto, and let her learn by trial and error. Just kidding. But seriously just let her go in alone and I'm sure plenty of guys will line up to give her a hand so she still learns with no risk to you. Joking again.

Nothin to be said that hasn't been said. Correct shirt and shoes are important so she's comfortable, as well as the regular stuff like grip, stance, trigger pull, not anticipating the shot, and front sight focus.

Congrats on her being interested. I know when my daughter is that age I will be a lot more comfortable knowing she can operate a firearm and defend herself.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could never get my daughter and her schedule to work yet.

Keep her hands away from the front cylinder of the wheel gun!!!!
Some people just want to grab them there.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's awesome! ! !
My 19 yr old daughter has shot most of my guns except the 7 Mag.
Has her own .22 lever action that my uncle left her. She's not great with them (lack of practice) but not scared to shoot any of them.
My rules basically with anybody who shoots here at the house.
Keep gun pointed down range,,,,,, It's always loaded,,,, Finger off of trigger till ready to shoot,,,, Squeeze don't jerk,,,,,,, Ear protection always,,,,, and HAVE FUN!

Latest posts

Top Bottom