Talk to me about a quick trip to Alaska

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother and I spent 4 days in Seward, AK. My parents were on a months long trip seeing many parts of Alaska and near the tail end of their trip they were in Seward. THe highlight of the trip was the halibut charter fishing we took. It was a semi private charter so our family of four and one other couple. IT was fantastic and caught some nice fish. Brought a lot home. We toured around town and did some other small side trips. They have a great museum in town that tells the history of Seward. It was a great trip. Flew into Anchorage and drove the Seward Hwy out to, well, Seward. Was one of the most beautiful drives you will ever take. Unbelieveable scenery.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll never see all of Alaska or enough off it in the time you allotted yourself. From Anchorage you can rent a car and drive to Denali, keep on going and you're in Fairbanks. You have to go to Seward and see the fish brought off the boats at the end of the day-wheelbarrows full. I don't like fish tacos but that's a big thing in Alaska.
The train leaves Anchorage around 0630 and arrive Seward around 1100 and idles until 1500 or so and then loads up and returns to Anchorage-arrives there around 2000. That's a great train ride through he mountains, you'll see Moose with calves often and there is I think Tracy Arm where the tide rushes a wall of water ?10 feet tall that surfers sometimes ride. You don't want to get caught in the Arm when the tide comes.
Then there's Salmon fishing, you gotta try that-any fish you catch they can can at a cannery or you can have them packaged and flash frozen and bring them back on your flight as baggage and they'll be frozen when you get home. To ship them back Fedex is pricey and bring them back on your flight makes sense, you'll save maybe $100.00 by bringing them back yourself.
It's never dark in Alaska at least in the summer at night it is dusk at 0300 in the morning, it's really odd but easy to get used to... Alaska grows on you and once you go you'll be wanting to return and maybe move there.
A flight from Seatac to Anchorage used to be nominal in cost but don't know what today's prices are. If you 're going, plan on taking money, a gallon of milk is over $4.00 and a loaf of bread over $3.00. If you're like me, you'll be eating at Subway. There is a store that is similar to Walmart called Fred Meyers-they have virtually anything you need at good prices.

Latest posts

Top Bottom