Talk to me about BM59's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are these as cool as they appear to be? Am I better off just getting a M1A?
I have a M1A Loaded but really like the idea of a full power folding stock rifle...so there's the BM59s which are cool but I guess I could also get a nice folding stock for a Socom and not have to worry about something being a conversion.

Whats your experience been?

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are shorter than the M1, uses a magazine which is one of the major mods to make it a BM59 besides being 7.62. Just ordered one yesterday that James River Armory built, should have in couple days to compare to the M1s I have. (They don't come with folding stock)

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
BM59's are very cool. Had one been around ten years ago when I got my M1A Scout I would have considered it.

That said, I do love my M1A Scout. Amazingly accurate ... when I had a scope on it everything was under MOA. I have since taken the scope off ... first went with a 2x Aimpoint (great sight but not for me) and then with the EOTech.

Hard choice ... both are excellent.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree on M1A's being awesome, I have a walnut Loaded. I'm looking for something "shorter" to complement it and it seems like a folding stock BM59 would be cool although I havent ruled out a Socom 16 in an old USGI stock either...even though it wont fold.
Just playing with ideas for now and curious on previous experience with BM59's.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Original BM59's were cut and rewelded Garands and were junk.
They didn't use the right welding rod and would stretch. There used to be several floating around Okla gun shows.
The later ones using Beretta receivers were ok.
If they are making new ones who knows the quality? You'll just have to try one.
Probably better off with a M1A

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree on M1A's being awesome, I have a walnut Loaded. I'm looking for something "shorter" to complement it and it seems like a folding stock BM59 would be cool although I havent ruled out a Socom 16 in an old USGI stock either...even though it wont fold.
Just playing with ideas for now and curious on previous experience with BM59's.

If you are looking for shorter ... here is my Scout (which I believe is 4" shorter than your M1A) next to my AR and 590A1 for comparison.

RJ S and R.jpg

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Original BM59's were cut and rewelded Garands and were junk.
They didn't use the right welding rod and would stretch. There used to be several floating around Okla gun shows.
The later ones using Beretta receivers were ok.
If they are making new ones who knows the quality? You'll just have to try one.
Probably better off with a M1A
They did not "cut and reweld" the M1 to make it a BM59. They modified the receiver to accept magazines and rechambered to 7.51. Also shortened original barrels . Later when Beretta started making receivers they added the bipod and also made the rifle select fire.

Latest posts

Top Bottom