Talk to your kids and give them a huge hug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen many horrible things. I put them in a box, lock it, and store it away way down in the recesses of my mind. It's my way of coping.

Every time I hear some "mental health professional" say you have to dig up that trauma, relive it and "reconcile with it", whatever the **** that means, I wonder just how lucky they must have been to not have lived through some of the **** the rest of us have. No one in their right mind wants to relive that's **** -- much less "reconcile with it".

killerpigeon

Native off the Reservation
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never been able to understand it, but these things "bug" me, but never linger or cause me PTSD or trouble. I think its a combination of my faith, culture, and family. It's just really sad. Even with this happening, gotta get past it and ready myself for the next "big one." I also, always look for the good in any situation, even in these kind of calls. What if her parents decide to donate her organs, that could be 4 to 6 kids that would get a second chance. What if this causes the parents of her friends to sit down with their kids, possibly starting a beneficial conversation.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is tough job and many times unappreciated. Sometimes everything you can do, isn't enough. I think you helped more than you will ever know by recognizing the importance of showing love for your kids. Some here probably needed to hear that. Trying not to dwell on the negatives is important and like you mentioned that organs may be used to save multiple lives is one way to help bring forth a positive side to this.

Don't take tomorrow for granted.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Between social media, bullying, stress and the pandemic, I’ve seen studies showing that depression is at an all time high for teenagers. Everyone needs to take the time to talk to their kids/family members about what’s going on in their lives.

killerpigeon

Native off the Reservation
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found out through a friend, whom actually knew the family, that the family had decided to take her off life support. It brings no comfort to know that one of my patients has died, but offers great resolve knowing that, from her and parents gift, multiple people now have a second chance. In the end, we gave the parents a chance to say goodbye and the opportunity for other people to live. As I've said, good always comes from any situation, and now I know why God put us there in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every time I hear some "mental health professional" say you have to dig up that trauma, relive it and "reconcile with it", whatever the **** that means, I wonder just how lucky they must have been to not have lived through some of the **** the rest of us have. No one in their right mind wants to relive that's **** -- much less "reconcile with it".

There seems to be two different trains of thought on that. The Freudian approach is as you say. They see that you show signs of depression and start digging into some super crappy memory from when you were a kid and bringing all of those emotions to the surface again so you can schedule 10 more visits to try to work out stuff you had purposely stuffed in a box and stashed in a dark corner of your mind.

I prefer the CBT approach. It describes pretty much exactly how @killerpigeon describes handling the tough situations that come with being a paramedic. It basically focuses on trying to find a positive angle in even the most traumatic events. I am not very good at it sometimes, but it seems to be a much healthier long term approach to the hard times life throws us into.

First responders definitely have one of the toughest jobs, but you guys are a special cut of human. We are extremely lucky that folks like you run toward those situations to do your best to turn it around for people you have never met.

Latest posts

Top Bottom