Tank/side panels/chain guard ready for paint on 75 Honda cb360t

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, me also.

Last tank I cleaned was out of a 1957 BMW Isetta. Used pea gravel and Naval Jelly. After the rust was cleaned out, coated the inside with zinc chromate (the green stuff). I understand that this is no longer available. It certainly worked great, though.
If you don't mind, if I get the CB 75 or another 125 I want, both barn finds but motors that aren't locked up, I'm asking if I can ask you a few questions about your process on the tank of your 57. Both of these have very rough tank linings. I filled one with gas and mixture of oil and semi pressurized with an air hose and didn't find any leaks but that might be covered by the rust. Still good outside but will need a lot of work.
I hope to find out about them soon as I want them as a winter project. I have had a wish list of having these two bikes. The 360t because of nostalgia (mine), and the other because they are very light and lots of room to work on, easy transport (can even put a tommy lift on my truck for easy loading without need for a trailer.
Back to the subject. I will be asking about what you used and the results. I've not seen pea gravel used but that seems to be a great idea. Large enough not to get stuck and should be a great abrasive.
Thanks for looking at my post and for your response. Appreciated.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only con I have seen is a liner that didn’t ‘take’. Fortunately, it wasn’t one of mine. A buddy did a Suzuki Water Buffalo resto. I guess the tank wasn’t clean enough and the liner started to collapse. The only thing we could figure is that we didn’t get the inside completely neutralized and oxidation formed before he got the kreem in.
I used three rinsing with baking soda mixed with water. Had a high ratio of soda in each batch. Used warm water to premix the neutralizer then ran a hose on full in the tank with open petcock drain. As soon as I was finished, I stuck the nose of my heat gun in the tank and let it on high for a while to dry out. You got to do this quick or it will flash rust in a heart beat. Probably that caused it. When you neutralize you need to swish the solution around alot. Upside down, side to side...drain and repeat. Quickly rinse with the hose as you don't want the baking soda mix left in the tank either as it will have chemical reaction. Then hit with the heat gun quickly to get rid of all water. Then, (don't burn your hand like me...ha) pour a bottle of Marvel mystery oil in and slosh, swish all around for a bit. Make sure it coats everything. Then stick the oil bottle on the end of the pet cock drain (perfect fit) and let it all drain out. It's reusable. You won't get it all back, perhaps a little more than half. That's cool and it's good for your engine IMO.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got all the small parts painted with 3 coats and cured. All new electrical components including harness. New rear, front and steering bearings. New chain, sprockets, brakes front/back and calipers. New tires and the list goes on forever. I'm now at the down hill part. Degrease and power wash the chassis then rattle can paint the chassis high gloss/high temp paint (3 coats) then paint engine block. Rest is just polishing and assemble. Sure I'll have to adjust timing as well as carbs with the upgrade on electrical.
Here's my redneck power wash deck and gas power washer. Buying that engine winch from HF was a Godsend.
Ran out of steam as I wanted to get the engine and other parts taped off and the chassis painted tonight but i'm done in.

Attachments

• 360t power wash 1.JPG
    360t power wash 1.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 360t power washer.JPG
    360t power washer.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 0

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Paint is done on frame, now a bit on the block/polish and assemble. Frame was hand sanded down to 0000 steelwool. Just the block will be painted that Honda chrome look that it has and I've matched in a rattle can. I'll polish with a wheel the side engine panels to a mirror as well as cleaning the filter and new oil before starting assembly.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only con I have seen is a liner that didn’t ‘take’. Fortunately, it wasn’t one of mine. A buddy did a Suzuki Water Buffalo resto. I guess the tank wasn’t clean enough and the liner started to collapse. The only thing we could figure is that we didn’t get the inside completely neutralized and oxidation formed before he got the kreem in.
I used to drag race a water buffalo.
Not many people know what that ride is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom