Tariffs: Saving American Jobs Since...Wait, What?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
What happened to the lead and battery industry after the largest primary lead smelter was shut down (or was planned to) during the Obama presidency. I'm just wondering, I remember that now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What happened to the lead and battery industry after the largest primary lead smelter was shut down (or was planned to) during the Obama presidency. I'm just wondering, I remember that now.
Yes, look at the price of imported batteries now.
If anyone thinks making the tariffs equal is an overnight fix, your sadly mistaken. Making trade equal is part of the long game. Building a new smelter, and the resulting infrastructure doesn't happen overnight, it takes years.
These little popcorn farts that some are using for examples will smooth out when production and manufacturing comes back.
If anyone here has toured the rust belt, it's amazing the huge buildings with names we used to call the backbone of the US economy that are empty shells. The cities don't even have enough money to raze them. (guess who legislates in those cities?)

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
n their letter to the Commerce Department, automakers warn, “A 25-percent tariff on imported vehicles and vehicle components would result in a 1.5 percent decline in production and cause 195,000 U.S. workers to lose jobs over a 1- to 3-year period or possibly longer, according to the Peterson Institute for International Economics. Their analysis estimates that if other countries retaliate with tariffs, then American job losses would likely increase to 624,000.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/27/aut...-will-drive-up-auto-prices-and-cost-jobs.html

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trump has created these tariffs with the object of getting tariffs removed worldwide. He'll remove the with any country that will also remove their tariffs on US products.
He's bet the US economy on this being a winning position. If it isn't, we'll fold. Recession or depression as happened in the tariff wars prior to the Great Depression.
We're all just chips in a really big game of poker.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tariffs won’t bring back the rust belt. Tariffs didn’t create it either. Tariffs just create another version of the same decline in other segments of the economy while artificially propping up segments we aren’t truly competitive in anymore.

Tariffs are just another form of political pork targeted at political/money allies and grandiose pandering targeted at those with zero understanding of global economics.

Economists don’t like tariffs, politicians and their blind followers do. That speaks volumes.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seriously doubt any of us here understand the complexities of international trade.

What I think is correct is that we have a President who knows how to negotiate by throwing opponents off-balance and even using some fright techniques. His success in dealing with a seemingly impossible situation in Korea has earned him the right to try a similar approach to the trade imbalance issue. I have no doubt that the President's international trade experts do know what is going on. Conventional wisdom and approaches have not been working in this area so Trump is trying a different approach. A cynic might wonder if past adminisrations might not have been somehow "influenced" to favor other economies over our own.

Feel free to disagree and to rant about Trump being a know-nothing but you might end up with egg on your face.

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seriously doubt any of us here understand the complexities of international trade.

What I think is correct is that we have a President who knows how to negotiate by throwing opponents off-balance and even using some fright techniques. His success in dealing with a seemingly impossible situation in Korea has earned him the right to try a similar approach to the trade imbalance issue. I have no doubt that the President's international trade experts do know what is going on. Conventional wisdom and approaches have not been working in this area so Trump is trying a different approach. A cynic might wonder if past adminisrations might not have been somehow "influenced" to favor other economies over our own.

Feel free to disagree and to rant about Trump being a know-nothing but you might end up with egg on your face.

He seems to have proven himself a shrewd negotiator (and even more savvy self-promoter) on more than one occasion. Of course he makes the hand wringing day traders as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs, but even if he only comes away with minor trade concessions, that's a win.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL. Now we're flaming Harley? Moving factories overseas to combat tariffs placed on U.S. goods by foreign countries is economics 101 (31% the last article I read). Just like foreign car makers did here, to avoid our tariffs and import quotas.

So Harley should just not try to sell motorcycles overseas because....'Merica?

With a 31% EU tariff, they aren't going to sell much in Europe. Is Harley Davidson, an American company, more healthy and good for the overall economy if it sells less bikes around the world but keeps production here, or if it sells more bikes and has a few factories overseas?

Why did the EU impose a 31% tariff?

Latest posts

Top Bottom