Tariffs: Saving American Jobs Since...Wait, What?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course they won't do that!

They'll point to the lost jobs, etc., put up a few sob stories, and say how we have to help people! It's all about spin.

Remember when the Republicans were in favor of free trade and the Democrats wanted protect the American worker?

I don't get your point. Trump is trying to make trade "freer" by getting these other countries to reduce or eliminate their tariffs on American goods. We can argue about the methods he's utilizing, but I'm not sure how you can argue that freer trade hurts the American worker? :anyone:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't get your point. Trump is trying to make trade "freer" by getting these other countries to reduce or eliminate their tariffs on American goods. We can argue about the methods he's utilizing, but I'm not sure how you can argue that freer trade hurts the American worker? :anyone:
I'm saying that increasing tariffs isn't generally considered "free trade." Rather, it's considered "protectionist." If it works in the long game, I'll concede the point, but only time will tell with that; in the short term, it's decidedly not free.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Hobbes. This just in! From the New York Times no less!

Emphasis mine:
The data echoed other positive economic news recently, including a report last week showing the economy grew by 4.1 percent in the second quarter.

And the headlines about President Trump’s tariffs on steel and aluminum and a widening trade war with China seem to have done little to put a damper on hiring. The manufacturing sector, which is particularly sensitive to exports, was robust, adding 37,000 jobs.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/03/business/economy/july-jobs-report-2018.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom