Taurus Executive Grade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Pretty much just polishing a turd and hoping it looks better...

To be clear, I have no problems with Taurus guns or any other less expensive brands. Not everyone has a Nighthawk budget. Their guns fill a niche for people who might not be able to afford much more and I think that's a good thing.

But let's be honest. Taurus guns probably mostly work fine for the occasional shooter. They will not stand up to heavy use. I've been to classes where we've shot a couple of thousand rounds over just 2 or 3 days. Every single Taurus I've ever seen at one of these classes has fared poorly. Every one. They aren't built for serious use.

I don't know how much that Executive Grade gun costs but it's too much.

Looks like about $690.

Can get a used S&W for about $100-$200 more.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like about $690.

Can get a used S&W for about $100-$200 more.
Yet a whole lot of people can not afford $100 or $200 more. Myself included. I have an old Taurus 66 that I have had for probably 25 years and while I have only put maybe 2000 rds down range, it has held up fine. I have had others thru the years that did the job too. They are not range guns, but real life guns. Not fancy, no bells and whistles, but every one I have owned just worked.

Face it guys, a lot of people have more important things to spend money on than guns. House, food, medical, kids are all more valuable to the average person than firearms. That is one reason I pick on ARs and Glocks so much, I get tired of you guys putting down what the average working person can afford.

You fire a gun and have problems with it, by all means post it here. Tell us what went wrong with that particular gun and the conditions that led to the failure. I entend to give an honest eval, good and bad.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yet a whole lot of people can not afford $100 or $200 more. Myself included. I have an old Taurus 66 that I have had for probably 25 years and while I have only put maybe 2000 rds down range, it has held up fine. I have had others thru the years that did the job too. They are not range guns, but real life guns. Not fancy, no bells and whistles, but every one I have owned just worked.

Face it guys, a lot of people have more important things to spend money on than guns. House, food, medical, kids are all more valuable to the average person than firearms. That is one reason I pick on ARs and Glocks so much, I get tired of you guys putting down what the average working person can afford.

You fire a gun and have problems with it, by all means post it here. Tell us what went wrong with that particular gun and the conditions that led to the failure. I entend to give an honest eval, good and bad.
You’re trying to make it sound like a Glock is in the $1000.00-$1500.00 range. A good, used Glock can be had for $450-$500 any day of the week. ARs are as cheap as you can build them. You can get a lower and a kit off of palmetto state armory for $500.00 or less. My point is that you don’t have to buy junk to be a member of the 2A club. I would not. I will not. I can not trust my families safety to a Taurus or any other off brand product. I have too many instances where those firearms fail when it counts. I wouldn’t use a HiPoint for a paperweight. Same goes for Rossi, Charter Arms and several others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You’re trying to make it sound like a Glock is in the $1000.00-$1500.00 range. A good, used Glock can be had for $450-$500 any day of the week. ARs are as cheap as you can build them. You can get a lower and a kit off of palmetto state armory for $500.00 or less. My point is that you don’t have to buy junk to be a member of the 2A club. I would not. I will not. I can not trust my families safety to a Taurus or any other off brand product. I have too many instances where those firearms fail when it counts. I wouldn’t use a HiPoint for a paperweight. Same goes for Rossi, Charter Arms and several others.
That is your opinion. I distrust ARs because of past experience. I do not like the way a Glock feels in my hand and do not trust a striker fired firearm that does not have a real safety.

I have used Taurus and Charter arms in real world use and they just work. Hi-Point again feels clunky in my hand but I would not be afraid to keep one around the house any more than I would a Glock. Now Rossi my father had one that got out of timing, same for my Grandfathers H&R revolver.

Point is a lot of people are lucky to scrap up $350 to $400 for a gun. Right now I could not even do that. A Hi-Point, Rossi, Taurus, etc may be the best they can afford, even used and running them down probably scares off a few members that can not afford better. Heck I thought about leaving the site more than a few times because of some of the comments but I am to much of an ******* to not say something back.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one Tarus Revo.
It's the stainless Judge with 3" chambers. Runs like a top, but with .410 ammo prices it doesn't get much use lately. With .45 Colt it's in time and shoots accurate enough for SD ranges. Of course it only holds 5 rounds, so there is that.
I typically use the three ball Federal .410 ammo as a tractor gun for varmints.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
these new taurus guns are legit.

the tx-22 is legit. straight up haven't had a single malfunction of any kind, with dirty dirty deuce deuce of all shapes and sizes. not many .22 semi autos have been anywhere *near* as reliable as that guy. and he's got the best trigger of any rimfire handgun i've fired. i've heard the new sig is really good, but holy crap that tx-22 trigger is legit. it's like walther ppq/pdp trigger (so much so that i've looked at the internals of both because i think it might even be a bit of a copy....); which is top tier for me in terms of striker triggers.

i haven't shot one, but i know several people who have owned hundreds of guns who have picked up the g2c/g3c line of taurus guns. they are *way* better than the millennium pro's back in the day imo. i've handled several and you can definitely tell they are just simply a better produced firearm.

i will say the only taurus revolver i ever handled and fired was junk lol. i will say the old millennium PT cruiser Pro or whatever they called it was junk. but these newer guns they've put in the last few years have been legit.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Taurus pt 92/99 are great guns, the old ones certainly, the only thing they did that sucked was proprietary mags, but a skilled deemed master can fix the beretta mag to work.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not like the way a Glock feels in my hand and do not trust a striker fired firearm that does not have a real safety.

If it doesn't feel right to you, OK. If you don't like the looks, OK. But if you don't trust a Glock because it doesn't have a "real" safety then honestly you don't understand how they work. It's not even up for debate.

A Glock not only won't fire unless the trigger is pulled, it can't fire unless the trigger is pulled. The trigger must be moved to the rear, one way or another, in order for the gun to fire. Are there better ways than others to carry a Glock because of that? Yes. Do you need to do your part as the operator? Yes. But that's true of all guns. If you just don't like guns without manual safeties, that's fine. But there's no legitimate reason not to trust a Glock because it doesn't have a manual safety. None. If you don't understand why I say that then, again, you don't understand the mechanics of Glock pistols.

And like Honey Badger said... Glocks can be had for the price of some Taurus or much lesser quality gun. They're not that expensive. I still see them new, on sale at times, for $499 for a Gen 3. They were selling for that 20 years ago.

And I'm just gonna say this... OK. You don't like ARs. I get it. I don't know when you had such a bad experience with the one you say failed you. But your arguments against them in terms of function and reliability haven't been valid for probably 40 years or longer. Again...you don't have to like them. I get that. Ford vs Chevy, Coke vs Pepsi...to each his own. But to say they aren't reliable just proves you don't really know anything about the modern AR rifle. Sorry...but that's the truth.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it doesn't feel right to you, OK. If you don't like the looks, OK. But if you don't trust a Glock because it doesn't have a "real" safety then honestly you don't understand how they work. It's not even up for debate.

A Glock not only won't fire unless the trigger is pulled, it can't fire unless the trigger is pulled. The trigger must be moved to the rear, one way or another, in order for the gun to fire. Are there better ways than others to carry a Glock because of that? Yes. Do you need to do your part as the operator? Yes. But that's true of all guns. If you just don't like guns without manual safeties, that's fine. But there's no legitimate reason not to trust a Glock because it doesn't have a manual safety. None. If you don't understand why I say that then, again, you don't understand the mechanics of Glock pistols.

And like Honey Badger said... Glocks can be had for the price of some Taurus or much lesser quality gun. They're not that expensive. I still see them new, on sale at times, for $499 for a Gen 3. They were selling for that 20 years ago.

And I'm just gonna say this... OK. You don't like ARs. I get it. I don't know when you had such a bad experience with the one you say failed you. But your arguments against them in terms of function and reliability haven't been valid for probably 40 years or longer. Again...you don't have to like them. I get that. Ford vs Chevy, Coke vs Pepsi...to each his own. But to say they aren't reliable just proves you don't really know anything about the modern AR rifle. Sorry...but that's the truth.
I do not trust ANY striker fired pistol without a manual safety, period. As far as my distrust and hatred of the mouse gun, back in the mid 70s while in the CG.
Back on the money part of this debate, I have seen times when I have had good 1911s, Smith revolvers stuck on my belt. Others when I felt lucky to afford a Jennings 22 stuck in my pocket.

Latest posts

Top Bottom