Taurus PT 1911 I finally shot it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took this 45 acp out the other day and ran some 200gr Lee SWC bullets through it.
Not as reliable as my Hi-Point I will say that.
Never have jams with the cheap 45 but it has a very generous slopped feed ramp.
Seems the 1911 has the typical abrupt feed ramp.
I had a friend tell me his 2 Taurus PT 1911's like round nose bullets and will hang up with SWC.

I suppose I need to get another bullet mold.

I do have some 250GR XTP HP .452" diameter bullets. I will try those and see how it likes them.
My Hi-Point likes them. but it likes everything I toss at it.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read good and bad reviews on the PT 1911 and it seems like the newer ones get considerably better reviews but they aren't as tough and heavy as a Hi-Point so you just can't build a house with one like you can with the HP. :)

I'll be willing to bet that the PT1911 will feed round nose ball ammo just fine........keep us posted.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no experience with the PT1911. What I do know Is that 1911s in general prefer 230 grain FMJ. That is the geometry they were designed for. I do know they can be finicky with HPs. I have no experience with the wad cutters either but imagine the shortened rounds and flat surfaces can affect it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This gun may be like other 1911's I do not know but I do see the round entering the barrel off the feed ramp at a very high angle.
This leads to the SWC edge hooking on the chamber as it is entering the barrel.
I had some cases hook on the case mouth because I do not crimp.
I just use a Lee carbide crimp die and just iron out the case mouth flare.

This gun will get different loading procedures for sure.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have fixed many chambers on pistols, you will be surprised what Ruger and Kimber kick out to the public.
I have been porting cylinder heads for over 30 years and I know my way around a die grinder and Cratex.

It's a little funny I got these replies today because I just took the gun apart and cleaning and inspecting it.
Lots of lead in the barrel next to the rifling.
Could not get it all out with copper Chorboy wrapped around a cleaning brush.
I will get it all tomorrow with Peroxide vinegar for the stubborn stuff in the groove.
3 minute soaks in that followed with a flush and brush.

I did think about a chamfer and polish on the barrel.
But I will play with different bullets and seating depths first maybe.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welp, I've seen what you can do with stuff, like that cool old truck, so go for it. But for most of us, using power tools on a firearm may not be the best choice.
Boogered up Glock.png

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I figured Swampratt was plenty capable of throating and polishing the barrel throat if it needed it. You can also throat the barrel with some some abrasive paper and the tip of your index finger. It will take awhile and you have to work through various grits to get the desired result, but it is possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom