Tax question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m hoping as some have said that we can split it up over three years and add the $22,666 to earned income for each of the next three years. Hopefully that will save us from having to pay a large amount. Thanks for y’all’s help. I called the tax lady and she wasn’t there but I left a message.

Let us know what she says. I am not a tax accountant, but I do have masters degrees in accounting and finance.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember when looking into pulling money from the 401k when things were bad, yes, you CAN spread those tax payments out. You can ALSO contribute money back INTO the IRA/401k to replace what you took out (not sure if you can do so with a 401k if you have left that company). So let's say for instance you got a new job with HIGHER pay, or you made significant changes in your lifestyle to allow you to replace that entire $68k on top of your ongoing contributions, you can reduce or eliminate the tax on that early withdrawal by replacing it over the same period of time. I THINK.

Anyways, something to think about - anything extra you can possibly afford to shovel into your (new) 401k or IRA will offset the taxes on your early withdrawal. Heck, you might be better off taking out a second mortgage to put that money back into your retirement fund - if you can get a 3-5% mortgage, you save the 30% or so in the tax hit, and your money can (potentially) make more than the loan interest per year being back in the market - it's an option, right?

Bottom line - talk to a pro.

Latest posts

Top Bottom