TDSA training (dry firing at another person)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_McLargehuge

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I never did anything super leet high speed low drag door kicking awesome during my short time in the military. I was only an aircrew member on a jet. But the Air Force has this policy for aircrew "if something seems wrong, speak up". While the pilot/aircraft commander may be the top honcho for the jet, even the lowliest Airman can speak up if something is wrong. So I'm speaking up. This is just flat-out wrong. And, no, your super uber speshul fourses aren't infallible to deadly mistakes.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never did anything super leet high speed low drag door kicking awesome during my short time in the military. I was only an aircrew member on a jet. But the Air Force has this policy for aircrew "if something seems wrong, speak up". While the pilot/aircraft commander may be the top honcho for the jet, even the lowliest Airman can speak up if something is wrong. So I'm speaking up. This is just flat-out wrong. And, no, your super uber speshul fourses aren't infallible to deadly mistakes.

Like I said in my original post, while it may be for some folks (and I respect that) it is certainly not for me. You only have to lose someone you love ONCE to an accidental/negligent gunshot. I am keenly aware of how much damage an unloaded firearm can do.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the context of this drill is huge.

it carries weight.

it is not intuitive, and uncomfortable, Ill give you that; prior to this, they obsess about clearing ammo from the range

I recall you being very uncomfortable in that drill. Uncomfortable is actually quite an understatement.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had training where we partnered up and showed each other that the gun was empty and mag removed. Yeah it was against what I had been taught all my life on gun safety. It wasn't that big of a deal and nobody was shot.

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've personally attended several of Marshall's classes and many others. TDSA is hands down the best bang for the buck that I'm aware of. Very professional and intense course(s). I participated in the dry fire scenario referenced in this thread and can tell you that I was never once concerned about my or anyone else's safety. As a group, we unloaded, removed all mags and all ammo from our persons and went to the other end of the range. There and once again we all checked each others guns and pockets for ammo. Then, 4 instructor's checked everyone's weapons again. Then we all cycled our weapons and dry fired the guns before resetting and preparing for the drill.

I can say this, most of Marshall's training concepts were birthed from real life scenarios and are taught for a purpose. I also know that several of his instructors have been in at least one gun battle with the bad guys where shots were fired and shots were being returned. This was the basis of this particular exercise. Because even the most "trained" and veteran warrior most times cannot even remember how many shots were fired, let alone remember seeing their sights, etc. The point to this exercise is to demonstrate what it "feels" like to point a "real" weapon at another human being and that the "time" to experience it is "not" while your in the fight!

We had 16 students in my class and none of us felt uncomfortable, everyone participated and no one talked about it afterwards (proof that no one had an issue). We all understood the purpose and were there to learn from one of the best.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've personally attended several of Marshall's classes and many others. TDSA is hands down the best bang for the buck that I'm aware of. Very professional and intense course(s). I participated in the dry fire scenario referenced in this thread and can tell you that I was never once concerned about my or anyone else's safety. As a group, we unloaded, removed all mags and all ammo from our persons and went to the other end of the range. There and once again we all checked each others guns and pockets for ammo. Then, 4 instructor's checked everyone's weapons again. Then we all cycled our weapons and dry fired the guns before resetting and preparing for the drill.

I can say this, most of Marshall's training concepts were birthed from real life scenarios and are taught for a purpose. I also know that several of his instructors have been in at least one gun battle with the bad guys where shots were fired and shots were being returned. This was the basis of this particular exercise. Because even the most "trained" and veteran warrior most times cannot even remember how many shots were fired, let alone remember seeing their sights, etc. The point to this exercise is to demonstrate what it "feels" like to point a "real" weapon at another human being and that the "time" to experience it is "not" while your in the fight!

We had 16 students in my class and none of us felt uncomfortable, everyone participated and no one talked about it afterwards (proof that no one had an issue). We all understood the purpose and were there to learn from one of the best.

Those who have done it, get it, those who haven't can't grasp the concept and can only espouse how WRONG they think it is...

Thanks for speaking up and showing that another person survived this horrible ordeal, at this point it's obvious that some will not change their opinion of the training, which is fine in my opinion, I for one am glad I did it.

Outstanding training can be controversial, the great thing is we have the option of who we train with.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

So what was it like pointing an unloaded gun at another human being in a calm, controlled setting?

So I'm not sure how to interpret your comments. Are you trying to contribute a valuable thought, or are you just trying to be antagonistic?

Latest posts

Top Bottom