Teaching a kid to shoot...paper or steel/cans first?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am specifically thinking of BB/pellet guns here, but the same could be said for rimfires. Is it better to let them learn to aim with iron sights on a paper target first or is it better to shoot cans, or swinging metal targets first?

I tend towards the cans first just to get some hits and then fine tune it later on paper when they are comfortable shooting cans. But I wanted to get opinions on what others think is the best method to teach. My daughter already has a red dot on one of her BB guns because she prefers that over iron sights, but I have a pellet rifle that is similar to a 10/22 that I want to use to teach iron sights with before moving up to the 10/22.

Last edited:

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree with cans or anything other than paper to start. Years ago was a 4H shooting sports instructor for an archery class. Kids couldn't hit the paper consistently but tape up balloons where they heard the POP when a hit got them excited. We'd also tie a string around an egg and lower from the top of the shooting bale onto the target 10 spot. Those kids LOVED shooting at eggs! Granted, too expensive now for that but instant gratification is what the kids I taught were after.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he can't hit the cans put him on paper so he can see where the shots are landing.
Balloons filled with water hanging low from a tree branch will make for good fun.

I have done that for us adults.
Hang 5 on one side of the trunk and 5 on the other side and make it a competition to see who clears their balloons first.

Make them different sizes and hang them way out there if you can after he gets really good.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another +1 on the balloons! I used to cover the range with them and just let the boy go nuts.

Another fun one is printing paper "targets" of the bad guys of their preferred game or show. Coloring books or sheets are great resources for this.

They also have some paper targets that are game based like battle ship or poker.

Print targets with large shapes, colors, numbers, elements from the periodic table, etc and put up multiple at the time. Then you call the shots for them ie. "Shoot the blue square. Shoot the purple octagon...

If you can get a cheap matching game from the dollar store put a bunch of those up and go nuts.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would say cans or swinging targets, they give instant feedback on hits and can help boost confidence and make it more fun. Once they get consistent on those move to paper and dial in.
I agree. To a kid it's always about the WOW factor first. Once that has [somewhat] worn off then you start to instill the 'how well can you . . . ' (i.e. precision) shooting.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with cans or anything other than paper to start. Years ago was a 4H shooting sports instructor for an archery class. Kids couldn't hit the paper consistently but tape up balloons where they heard the POP when a hit got them excited. We'd also tie a string around an egg and lower from the top of the shooting bale onto the target 10 spot. Those kids LOVED shooting at eggs! Granted, too expensive now for that but instant gratification is what the kids I taught were after.
Works well with those plastic Easter eggs 'ya buy out of Dollar General or Dollar Tree stores, and a lot cheaper and less messy than real eggs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom