Teaching my son about the benefits of gun control.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need more of parents interacting in anyway with their kids in society, but this works too :D
When my kids were young, they got to witness what would happen with bullets hitting flesh. it's not a small red spot on a shirt.
If we caught a big carp, I would hang it on a fence and show them the consequences of a bullet hitting something.
It made an impression on them along with them helping gut deer over the years with me.
Kids just need experience into the hunting world vs the Disney animal videos where they are all in the woods singing kumbaya.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my kids were young, they got to witness what would happen with bullets hitting flesh. it's not a small red spot on a shirt.
If we caught a big carp, I would hang it on a fence and show them the consequences of a bullet hitting something.
It made an impression on them along with them helping gut deer over the years with me.
Kids just need experience into the hunting world vs the Disney animal videos where they are all in the woods singing kumbaya.

My dad didn't do that with me, but when I was 6 he let me shoot his S&W .357 7" service pistol. Told me to lock my arms and I'm glad he did. I fired one shot, then handed it back to him. After that the only times I touched it was when he told me to bring it out of the van and into wherever we were staying when we took trips. I learned about the flesh thing from shooting fish heads with my BB gun. I figured out real quick that if a .177 BB can do that, those big bullets would do a lot more.

Funny how kids who are exposed to guns early and properly are less likely to have accidents with guns.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad didn't do that with me, but when I was 6 he let me shoot his S&W .357 7" service pistol. Told me to lock my arms and I'm glad he did. I fired one shot, then handed it back to him. After that the only times I touched it was when he told me to bring it out of the van and into wherever we were staying when we took trips. I learned about the flesh thing from shooting fish heads with my BB gun. I figured out real quick that if a .177 BB can do that, those big bullets would do a lot more.

Funny how kids who are exposed to guns early and properly are less likely to have accidents with guns.
Exposed to guns properly is the key.
The internet and YouTube is full of stories of idiots putting a magnum firearm in to a first time shooter and laughing at the results of firing it.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over the past few years, I've coached a girls' (11-14) pistol team. We practice at Wilshire Range. There is no better feeling than to know that a sense of maturity and self-confidence has been instilled in those girls - including my eldest granddaughter. They have learned their lessons (law, safety, marksmanship, maintenance & cleaning, holster draw, etc) very well, and are now fully capable of the safe and effective handling of firearms. I really love the fact that I had a bit to do with that... and I recommend the experience to other parents/grandparents!

Latest posts

Top Bottom