Tech question - Truth or B.S. - OK police chase in the news

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question -- Can OnStar actually do this with GM vehicles (slow them down to 15 mph)?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oklahoma-man-stole-truck-with-goat-inside
Oklahoma man allegedly stole truck, drove 130 miles with passenger and pet goat inside

According to Fox News, an Oklahoma man is charged with stealing a pickup truck (photo shows it's a Chevrolet) in Missouri and running 137 miles before he was finally arrested in OK.
(A sleeping passenger and a pet goat inside the truck were reportedly threatened at gunpoint but they got out in Creek County, OK.)
According to the story:
"...Creek County police were able to work with the vehicle communications service OnStar, which slowed the truck's speed to just 15 mph...
[Suspect Brandon Kirby] managed to maintain the chase even after a deputy used stop sticks to flatten his tires.
The chase ended when an Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper pushed the truck into a ditch.
The 40-year-old suspect tried running and hiding in tall grass near a ditch...
The Creek County Sheriff's Office said that Kirby was charged with kidnapping, pointing firearms, and being a felon in possession of firearms. He was recently released from prison and had multiple convictions in several counties."

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the actual chase was only 5-10 miles after he dumped the passenger and goat and the passenger called police.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the other hand, I know of a couple that were pulling their large fifth wheel RV through New York. OnStar tried to route them on an expressway that was for automobiles only. They knew the expressway was limited, but OnStar kept trying to get them on that road. They ended up downtown in a large city and it took a police officer to get them on a route that would bypass that expressway.

Sadly, that route suggested by the police officer had a low overpass. Yeppers...

...peeled back the roof on that fifth wheel. OnStar apparently doesn't know squat about low overpasses.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the other hand, I know of a couple that were pulling their large fifth wheel RV through New York. OnStar tried to route them on an expressway that was for automobiles only. They knew the expressway was limited, but OnStar kept trying to get them on that road. They ended up downtown in a large city and it took a police officer to get them on a route that would bypass that expressway.

Sadly, that route suggested by the police officer had a low overpass. Yeppers...

...peeled back the roof on that fifth wheel. OnStar apparently doesn't know squat about low overpasses.

You said onstar led them downtown and it took a PD officer to get them back on the route. Then you said the PD officer's route led them to a low overpass. Then you blamed onstar for the overpass route.

Norman, correlate.

treknorman.jpg

ZGXtreme

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes and there is a process to initiate the shut down with the lead officer having to confirm the emergency flasher has been activated to ensure OnStar is linked to the correct vehicle.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Indeed. They can slow it, stop it and prevent it from being started again. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how tight your tin foil hat is IMO

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they can shut stuff down electronically.
I remember reading that immediately after the Boston Marathon pressure cooker bombing, authorities shut down cell phone towers in the area there, fearing the device had been remotely detonated by cell phone (which I believe the terrorists did in the Spain subway bombing).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they can shut stuff down electronically.
I remember reading that immediately after the Boston Marathon pressure cooker bombing, authorities shut down cell phone towers in the area there, fearing the device had been remotely detonated by cell phone (which I believe the terrorists did in the Spain subway bombing).
When POTUS comes through your hood, they do the same thing or use jammers.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I heard of a proof-of-concept test where they hacked into a car with on-star and actually drove it remotely. My memory might be off on the details.

Latest posts

Top Bottom