Teen girl safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The point was, the person spraying it into someone else's face can be held liable on criminal charges for misuse of the pesticide, a poison, which is a federal offense.

And what agency would be the prosecuting agency for said offense? Some lines of defense come to mind. The first would be that doctors prescribe drugs "off-label" on a regular basis without consequence. The second would be that the label said it was effective against pests and the ******* in question was certainly being a pest. Finally, if the entire incident can be characterized as "self-defense", then the tool used during the incident is really not the issue.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Buy a VW TDI or another diesel and she won't have to worry about gas fumes and static electricity either way. You can put a match out in a cup of diesel, it's flash point is too high. You'd have to hold the flame to the surface until it lit. Best policy is like already mentioned, plan ahead and go to a safe gas station in the day light. The wasp spray.......has legal implications, accessibility issues(you know she's not going to stand there with a can of wasp spray), and she has to hit them in the eyes on the first shot. I can't tell you how many nests I've missed on the first blast. Anything is better than nothing though. We chose the be "prepared, realize and recognize your surroundings, and self defense method" for ours, and she's not even driving yet.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And what agency would be the prosecuting agency for said offense? Some lines of defense come to mind. The first would be that doctors prescribe drugs "off-label" on a regular basis without consequence. The second would be that the label said it was effective against pests and the ******* in question was certainly being a pest. Finally, if the entire incident can be characterized as "self-defense", then the tool used during the incident is really not the issue.

Likely, the EPA Criminal Investigation Division. Not quite the same thing, but two applicators in Florida were busted for illegal use of a pesticide that resulted in an injury to a minor:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdfl/p...uals-pled-guilty-connection-illegal-pesticide

And said "******* in question" would not fall under the category of "pest" according to the EPA and the FIFRA ;)

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The point was, the person spraying it into someone else's face can be held liable on criminal charges for misuse of the pesticide, a poison, which is a federal offense.
I would strongly suspect that the Feds would NOT, and in most [non-liberal] states, the DA would NOT prosecute someone who used wasp spray in defense of their, or someone else's life. Use at your own risk, but the chance being prosecuted would likely be less than the chance of major injury or death from an attacker.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Likely, the EPA Criminal Investigation Division. Not quite the same thing, but two applicators in Florida were busted for illegal use of a pesticide that resulted in an injury to a minor:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdfl/p...uals-pled-guilty-connection-illegal-pesticide

And said "******* in question" would not fall under the category of "pest" according to the EPA and the FIFRA ;)

Just like the convenience store clerk that throws hot coffee in the face of an armed robber. The DA will most likely charge her with "Misuse of a Hot Beverage". If your life is being threatened you must first consult the EPA to make sure the weapon you are going to use to defend yourself isn't a banned or prohibited item.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Either EPA or DA prosecution is a moot point. Its too easy for an attacker to avoid getting wasp spray in his eyes mouth or nose. Its really only effective for stopping an attack if gotten in the eyes anyway

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just like the convenience store clerk that throws hot coffee in the face of an armed robber. The DA will most likely charge her with "Misuse of a Hot Beverage". If your life is being threatened you must first consult the EPA to make sure the weapon you are going to use to defend yourself isn't a banned or prohibited item.

The difference being that coffee is not a poison, unless consumed in large quantities. Tossing a hot cup of java into an attacker's face isn't going to elicit the kind of response, if any, that a pyrethrin compound might if sprayed into an attacker's face.

I'm really not sure why folks are pushing wasp spray when pepper spray is available. Last I heard, PS is legal to own and carry in Oklahoma, except in some areas like a court house or airport. Why not go with that?

MosinMann

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The difference being that coffee is not a poison, unless consumed in large quantities. Tossing a hot cup of java into an attacker's face isn't going to elicit the kind of response, if any, that a pyrethrin compound might if sprayed into an attacker's face.

I'm really not sure why folks are pushing wasp spray when pepper spray is available. Last I heard, PS is legal to own and carry in Oklahoma, except in some areas like a court house or airport. Why not go with that?
I'm with Perplexed on this one. Pepper spray was designed for self-defense purposes. Even without legal considerations or potency, wasp spray loses in practicality. If your daughter wants to go inside the gas station to pay or if she is pumping gas, it's probably not practical for her to carry around a can wasp spray. The pepper spray formulas on the market today will be a much better option for everyday, nearly everywhere use.

I recommend any of the Sabre pepper spray products. They are proven, cheap, effective, and practical. She can carry one on her keychain, have one in her purse, pocket, have a bigger one mounted near the steering well, etc. They are affordable so that she can practice using them to be competent with the product if a situation arises. When I am unable to conceal carry, I always carry a thing of pepper spray. It's a good thing to get in the habit of carrying whether you are running or pumping gas, because it can give you those extra few seconds to escape from a mugger or an aggressive dog. Situational awareness is the most important thing - good habits like windows up and locking your car door while inside, having an escape route while pumping, etc., but having practical tools on hand, i.e. pepperspray would advisable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom