Teenagers…grrr…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1679865677783142.jpg

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're the same as they were 10 yrs ago and 10 yrs before that and 10 yrs before you existed. Just a different time and circumstance.

You should have High fived him...it would have made their day, but now their negative perception of any older people has been justified. They left with "he's just a grumpy old codge" attitude instead of "he's a cool old man"
Good Job
I like when young people talk to me, it means I'm still cool.

dabigboy

Marksman
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I really find it disheartening that our culture, in general, has so much inhibition against interacting with strangers. Sometimes I see it like the OP (someone gets annoyed at a stranger), but more often I see it as people being intimidated to interact, due to fear of rejection. I was just talking to my wife about this yesterday. The ironic thing is that Americans (and Okies in particular), in my experience, are generally really nice people, who will be your buddy if given half a chance. They are just afraid of being rejected, or of being taken advantage of. And I would say that the younger generation does NOT have this inhibition as much, which is encouraging.

I've found that simply opening up and being friendly to people will go a long way. I try to be the guy who breaks the ice and puts people at ease....which is funny, because I myself have suffered with feelings of inferiority and SEVERE lack of confidence since I was in my early teens. Maybe I've taken the "friendly outgoing" approach as an antidote to my own personal issues, I dunno. I find making friends is really fun. It's a way we can share the love of God, and it's a wonderful thing. It's actually even more rewarding when the person doesn't "deserve" it...ergo, someone is unpleasant, or has mistreated you, but you still show them love and friendship. That is IMPACTFUL!

In the case of the OP, those teens sound totally cool. For that matter, what's not to love about goofing off with a buddy at the grocery store and pushing a girl around in a shopping cart? I'd totally do that. I'm 40, married, with two kids. But I really feel like I identify more with young people, like late teens to early 20s...young, no family cares, no career, having fun and not worrying too much about the future. This doesn't mean you should be irresponsible, but I do think people in our culture get a little too wrapped up in life. They take it a little too seriously. You can be a mature, responsible person and still keep a chill perspective about everything.

Our culture is too stifled, too fearful, too isolated. People may seem aloof or unfriendly, but I believe many of us are crying out for human relationships. If some goofy teens try to high-5 you in the grocery store, high-5 'em back. Everyone needs social contact, and some people are just bold enough to reach out. I encourage everyone to nurture and cherish those connections!

Matt

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s kind of funny. My wife and I are old parents with a kid that keeps our feet in two different worlds. We have gotten deeply involved with the youth group at our church and it has been humbling. This next generation is perplexing and amazing at the same time. They don’t do anything by half measures and are completely unaffected by the social pressures that have driven the generations before them. You call them racist, sexist or anything else and they just laugh it off. The old filters by which the rest of us were able to be corralled have zero impact on them. They view the world with stark reality and still maintain a modicum of optimism that’s refreshing. Yeah, they’ll cut up in ways that infuriates most of us, but if you show some genuine interest in them as the folks they are they’ll give you their best without reservation. The area we’re in is harshly effected by poverty as a result of larger social agendas. Since money is so hard to come by they put their focus on each other and realities that are obtainable. They have a raw genuine nature about them that is shocking initially and they respond to sincerity like flowers to sunlight. I’m sure the future is going to be unrecognizable to most of us, but I get the impression they are made the way they are for times like this. They are honest in a raw way that is disconcerting at first but the affection they respond with once they know you are there for them is deep and genuine. Based is the best way to describe them. If you can step out of your comfort zone and really get to know them I think you’ll find them generally encouraging.

Think about how you would be if ninety percent of the world was out to get you, another nine percent didn’t give a crap and you were born with a plastic spoon with the handle broken off. They’re mostly good kids who just need love and affirmation and genuine good guidance. If you can find it in yourself to seek them out the response might blow your mind.
:bowdown:Well said and I am officially now encouraged about the next generation. :woohoo1:

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nah, they do that when the better ones sense they're irritating people around them. They're trying to "touch base" with you to make it less uncomfortable.

Kids today are much worse than in previous generations unless you go back 200 years or so when roving bands of 15 year olds would club you as you walked to a neighboring town. Parents don't care, so they don't care. There's a great article in the Deseret News that covers a Norman teacher (democrat) that quit this year due to teens being supported in bad behavior by bad parents.
A Demogag teacher? Who would have thunk it. LOL

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think if it had been me, I might have joined in the high-5 and then stuck my hand out for the traditional handshake. If he took my hand for that, I would then pull him towards me and give him a quick hug with the other arm.

Turnaround play and then see if he was still in for something more traditional.

Every year, the youth at our church put on a Valentine's dinner for those over 55. Our youth minister stated this year that the "kids" REALLY like the idea of doing something for the older generation, and we REALLY appreciate their efforts at serving us our meals and then providing entertainment.

Their skit of "synchronized swimming" was absolutely hilarious.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunatly you might be the feature titled subject of their next "Tik Tok" or "youtube" video. Later as your neighbors see you starring in their kids friends videos you'll start to recieve hate mail and your driveway will be tagged. You'll be ostricized by your own friends and coworkers. Eventually severe depression will set in and you'll begin to question your own existence and purpose.
Good Luck!!!

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunatly you might be the feature titled subject of their next "Tik Tok" or "youtube" video. Later as your neighbors see you starring in their kids friends videos you'll start to recieve hate mail and your driveway will be tagged. You'll be ostricized by your own friends and coworkers. Eventually severe depression will set in and you'll begin to question your own existence and purpose.
Good Luck!!!
What?

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a little confrontation with a teenager in a Norman McDonald's a few weeks ago. Just one of those times when an inconsiderate person just pushes the wrong button.

It was pretty busy and I was about 5 or 6 people deep in line waiting to order. There was a kid in front of me wearing a hoodie (despite the fact it was 75-ish degs outside) and the hood was cinched up around his face like Kenny from South Park. Judging by the 60s vintage beatnik style beard and John Lennon glasses he was very late teens to early 20s.

5 to 7 mins or so and Kenny gets up to the cashier (a nice lady probably in her 50s) who asks him what he'd like. His face is buried in his phone and he actually says, "Hang on...I gotta write this text." That pissed me off. But, it actually only took him a few seconds. Then he looks up at the menu and says, "I'm not sure what I want." That really pissed me off. It's McDonald's, it's not complicated, and you've had 10 minutes to figure this **** out.

So I said, much louder than I intended, "FFS, dude. You've been in line for 10 mins. If you don't know what you want get the f*** outta my way because I do." He replies, "You better back up old man." Now this kid was all of maybe 5' 5" and about a buck-ten...with his clothes and backpack on. I pretty much let him know he was in serious danger of having his ass kicked by the old man and we exchanged a few more words. The manager came out and told me I needed to keep my voice down and calm down or he'd ask me to leave. I was out of line, no question. Like I said...little Kenny just pushed the wrong button. I despise inconsiderate people.

Anyway, the manager took his order and the original cashier lady took my order and there was no ass-kicking on the menu. When my order came up she gave it to me and said in a quiet voice, "Thanks for saying that to him. He comes in everyday after class (from some college) and acts this way. I put a few cookies in your bag, too."
Our SOCIETY is so affluent even many of our poorest people are SPOILED BRATS!! That must be something new in human history?

Latest posts

Top Bottom