Tell me about cross bows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a Recurve

So if your comfortable shooting a recurve at your age, your OK with those seniors and disabled NOT being able to hunt anymore during bow season because they can't draw a bow anymore? All citizens deserve the right to hunt in whatever season they want.
As an arbilist, I've done some research on the crossbow and found it was developed in the Han dynasty in ancient China. How primative do we need to be before it's socially acceptable to use as a hunting weapon?
In it's advent it was a weapon of war. I'm afraid that our current political climate will soon move to ban the crossbow because of its history of a highly efficient weapon
during centuries of conflict.
Please contact your legislators to prevent banning of the crossbow!

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if your comfortable shooting a recurve at your age, your OK with those seniors and disabled NOT being able to hunt anymore during bow season because they can't draw a bow anymore? All citizens deserve the right to hunt in whatever season they want.
As an arbilist, I've done some research on the crossbow and found it was developed in the Han dynasty in ancient China. How primative do we need to be before it's socially acceptable to use as a hunting weapon?
In it's advent it was a weapon of war. I'm afraid that our current political climate will soon move to ban the crossbow because of its history of a highly efficient weapon
during centuries of conflict.
Please contact your legislators to prevent banning of the crossbow!
I gave a 7:30pm belly full of dinner internet opinion, not a preamble to war. The rules are they can be used, so use em.
fyi I don’t shoot my recurves but a few times a year because they aren’t as easy as they used to be but they’re all 55#plus. I haven’t bought a tag in three or so years
if I get a 45# one I’ll probably ramp it up again. Or get a compound. Ever pull a 45# with 80% let off?? It’s probably easier than holding a crossbow steady.

Rollpin

Immaculata, Who Are You?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've made my own bows and killed deer with them, everyone should at some point if capable. That doesn't keep me from breaking out the crossbow or compound on occasion, and I don't think less of anyone else who does either. Unless it morally wrong to someone, if it's legal, go for it. I don't see any difference in woodsmanship between someone sitting in a ladder stand above a corn pile at 15y with a compound, sights, and release or doing the same with a crossbow. The only difference would be drawing your compound, which isn't that big of task to complete imo.

Now if you're talking about woodsmanship as in spot and stalk with a longbow vs a crossbow, I could see a crossbow advantage...........I'm guessing less than 1% of hunters at most spot and stalk whitetails with a bow of any kind. Mulies and elk are different of course.

For those situations, I agree it’s pretty much a distinction without a difference. I often forget people stand hunt and hunt over bait.

However, I think archery season needs to mean *something* that makes sense of the season length. In short, it should mean more effort is ideally needed. I don’t see where a crossbow fits into that.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Can't leave you guys alone without you finding something to argue about with out me.:cool: I thought they made Xbows legal cause they need more deer taken because of all the vehicle damage issues caused by a healthy large herd and not enough taken.....Personally I liked that choice cause the other answer was make deer gun season longer and frankly some of those rascals out there with rifles scare the hell out of me. Also xbow is more accurate and chances are better for a humane kill for folks who don't have time or the place to practice a lot with other types of bows!! I use a compound because that is what I have always used since taking up archery hunting and I have access to ware houses that I can practice in year round.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those situations, I agree it’s pretty much a distinction without a difference. I often forget people stand hunt and hunt over bait.

However, I think archery season needs to mean *something* that makes sense of the season length. In short, it should mean more effort is ideally needed. I don’t see where a crossbow fits into that.
Also if I had a monster buck at about 70yds and I couldn’t get any closer to its routine, I could see where a guy with dreams of Instagram fame and fortune would be tempted to run over to a pro shop and plunk a few bills on a good Xbow to whack him. That ain’t in the spirit of bow hunting and archery I grew up in and strive to be part of.
Again, this is more of why I don’t do it. And if I don’t think it’s up to snuff, I can’t morally say, well it’s ok for you to do it. I am however fine with legislative processes and citizens speaking their rights and what happens happens. Change is inevitable.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Well I'm not going to be the guy who tells someone else that their harvest doesn't mean as much as someone else's because it was killed with a crossbow.

Can't leave you guys alone without you finding something to argue about with out me.:cool: I thought they made Xbows legal cause they need more deer taken because of all the vehicle damage issues caused by a healthy large herd and not enough taken.....Personally I liked that choice cause the other answer was make deer gun season longer and frankly some of those rascals out there with rifles scare the hell out of me. Also xbow is more accurate and chances are better for a humane kill for folks who don't have time or the place to practice a lot with other types of bows!! I use a compound because that is what I have always used since taking up archery hunting and I have access to ware houses that I can practice in year round.

Come on in, the water is fine :) :) :)

Also if I had a monster buck at about 70yds and I couldn’t get any closer to its routine, I could see where a guy with dreams of Instagram fame and fortune would be tempted to run over to a pro shop and plunk a few bills on a good Xbow to whack him. That ain’t in the spirit of bow hunting and archery I grew up in and strive to be part of.
Again, this is more of why I don’t do it. And if I don’t think it’s up to snuff, I can’t morally say, well it’s ok for you to do it. I am however fine with legislative processes and citizens speaking their rights and what happens happens. Change is inevitable.

You just need a 70y pin and practice :) :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I gave a 7:30pm belly full of dinner internet opinion, not a preamble to war. The rules are they can be used, so use em.
fyi I don’t shoot my recurves but a few times a year because they aren’t as easy as they used to be but they’re all 55#plus. I haven’t bought a tag in three or so years
if I get a 45# one I’ll probably ramp it up again. Or get a compound. Ever pull a 45# with 80% let off?? It’s probably easier than holding a crossbow steady.
I actually killed several deer with a 45# compound Onida with 50% let off back in the day in my prime with a borrowed bow from a friend before I bought my own compound. Actually my first bow kill was with that bow.
Kills em really dead and had a complete pass through with Bear super broadheads.
My reference to Xbows being a weapon of war and needing banned was a superfluous comment relative to the political environment we live in now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom