Tell me about the Ruger PC9 carbine...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own one. I’ll give you my general impression and you can ask any additional specific questions you may have.
Reliable and reasonably accurate out of the box, it feels and so far has proven to be rugged as well. Somewhat lighter than the original PC9, it is also somewhat uglier (IMHO). The takedown design is the same one well proven on the 10/22 - quick, easy, and secure. It uses either Ruger Security 9 magazines or, with an included magwell adapter, Glock magazines. I have fed it both 115gr FMJ target ammo and hollow points and it has eaten both with zero failures to date.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GED. we've sold several. Every one of them we have sold has been converted to the Glock mag. Not one complaint. The fact that it is threaded is a bonus. With Glock stick mags coming in colors now, you can designate blammo choice by color like Pmags. Mugsy is right, not nearly as pretty as the first version.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I’ve had one for a couple of months now. Immediately swapped magazine adapter to Glock. This is not a cheesy adapter. It is nice solid box. Took less than 5 mins.
Stock: Very solid and stout. Seems as though it would take a lot of abuse. On the heavy side, though.
Trigger: Pleasantly surprised. Like the new 10/22 trigger group.
Sights: Ghost ring rear and wing protected front. Nice for daylight shooting but the black blade gets very
difficult to see in low light. Easily adjusted with set screws.
Bolt: Last round hold open. Automatic bolt release. Handle can be easily swapped to either side. After a
the first couple of mags I swapped to left side. Makes for pretty fast reloads.
Mag Release: Large button that is easy to operate.
Takedown Feature: Positive lockup and simple to take down

All of my shooting thus far has been <25 yds so I can’t speak for LR accuracy. I’ve run about 500 rds through it with two FTEs. Both of these were with Federal aluminum cases which I’ve found to be sticky. No failures with brass ammo. I used factory Glock mags and ETS extended mags. All fit great and dropped when they were supposed to.

I put a Burris FastFire on the Picatinny rail. Solves not being able to see sights in low light.

Overall, yes, I like it very well. It is my new trunk monkey. Not perfect, a little on the heavy side. Really wanted an AR-9 but for the money ($500 vs $1300) I’m pretty pleased.