Tell me about USSA, good or bad.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Anyone here frequent USSA? What are your opinions of the range facilities and the general atmosphere of the place?
I shot several IDPA matches there a dozen or so years ago not long after they opened.
I'm retired and would likely only go out on weekdays.
I did a forum search on USSA and there wasn't too much recent but the idea of being hassled for picking up my own brass wouldn't set well with me.
I'll likely go for a visit one day this coming week weather permitting to see how if I like the place.

I can shoot safely on my own property but I'm pretty well limited to 50 yards and would like to be able to reach out a bit further once in a while.
I have neighbors up range (behind me) so I don't usually go for long sessions or have people over and sometimes I feel like burning some ammo/

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand that ranges make part of their money by selling brass that non-reloaders leave there, so they don't want you picking that up... but me, personally, I wouldn't shoot at a place that wouldn't let me keep my own brass.

Jcelt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot there quite often during the week and there is usually not many people there in the early mornings when I go. I had researched also and read all the horror stories but I haven’t had any problem picking up my brass. I asked before I started shooting and was told they had no problem with me picking up my own brass. I know weekends are really busy and they probably police more at that time than the times I go.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've not been up there in 6 months or so, but last time I was up there it had been about 2 years of basically no steel and only 1/4 as many target stands as they should have. Like...the 100 yard bay with benches is say 8 bays wide and there were only 3-4 target stands, and many of the solo bays only had one dilapidated one.

There was a guy there working promising good things, and I really hope he goes through with half of them...but its burned me out to drive up there to find out its become a wasteland.

If your metric is how it was shortly after it opened, you're probably going to be pretty disappointed...but there's not reallymuch in the way of alternatives.

Jcelt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The target stands are adequate. They are usually pretty shot up but hold my targets OK. It looks like a couple of the pistol ranges( 25 yds) have a metal target. They let me drive around and look before I started shooting which gave me a good idea of what they offered. As adamsredlines said not much in the way of alternatives. If you shoot much the annual membership may make sense.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like it because it is the only non-private range I've found in the Tulsa area that allows so much freedom for the individual shooter (in their 25/50yd bays). You want to do rapid fire box drills? That's fine. Change positions while in a string of fire? Also fine. Practice pushing/disengaging while firing? Good to go. I don't know of anywhere else around here that isn't "Here's your bench, 15 minutes hot 10 minutes cold, don't go prone or shoot standing, 3 Mississippi between shots" or a 25yd indoor range.

Also, when are some of you old salt dogs gonna give up your spot at the Red Castle? I'm holding off on buying a 6.5 Creed rifle because it doesn't make any sense to add another caliber to the armory when the furthest range I have access to 300 yards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom