Tell me about USSA, good or bad.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Mettler

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are closed on Monday but ive been within the last month and have never been approached about picking up my own brass . if course i would tell whoever to pound sand if they told me i could not pick it up for the main reason i purchased the ammo they didnt so the brass belongs to me until i decide to abandon it

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like it because it is the only non-private range I've found in the Tulsa area that allows so much freedom for the individual shooter (in their 25/50yd bays). You want to do rapid fire box drills? That's fine. Change positions while in a string of fire? Also fine. Practice pushing/disengaging while firing? Good to go. I don't know of anywhere else around here that isn't "Here's your bench, 15 minutes hot 10 minutes cold, don't go prone or shoot standing, 3 Mississippi between shots" or a 25yd indoor range.

Also, when are some of you old salt dogs gonna give up your spot at the Red Castle? I'm holding off on buying a 6.5 Creed rifle because it doesn't make any sense to add another caliber to the armory when the furthest range I have access to 300 yards.
Your best bet would be to join Red Castles indoor range and see what happens. Indoor members get first shot at the outdoor membership openings.
We've had a lot of die-offs this year of long time members. So, They'll probably open it up around Dec.-Jan.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to join Red Castles indoor range and see what happens. Indoor members get first shot at the outdoor membership openings.
We've had a lot of die-offs this year of long time members. So, They'll probably open it up around Dec.-Jan.
I'll have to look into that, it would be a pure gamble for me though because I don't shoot indoor ranges except when I absolutely have to. Are there any other 1,000yd ranges in Oklahoma? I heard a rumor that USSA was supposed to be opening a 500 yd (or was it 700?) "soon" but that is furthest I know of within two hours of Tulsa outside of the Red Castle

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like it because it is the only non-private range I've found in the Tulsa area that allows so much freedom for the individual shooter (in their 25/50yd bays). You want to do rapid fire box drills? That's fine. Change positions while in a string of fire? Also fine. Practice pushing/disengaging while firing? Good to go. I don't know of anywhere else around here that isn't "Here's your bench, 15 minutes hot 10 minutes cold, don't go prone or shoot standing, 3 Mississippi between shots" or a 25yd indoor range.

Also, when are some of you old salt dogs gonna give up your spot at the Red Castle? I'm holding off on buying a 6.5 Creed rifle because it doesn't make any sense to add another caliber to the armory when the furthest range I have access to 300 yards.
I wish I had never let my membership expire. I am wondering if it is worth it to join the indoor range to move up the waiting list?

As to the OP, I am also planning to join USSA maybe this weekend. There isn't really any other options until I can get a spot at Red Castle. At least USSA is a little closer until then

cdragen

Marksman
Reaction score
I've been a member at USSA almost since moving here in 2018and for the most part I've been very happy. For one thing the freedom to run my own courses of fire in the carbine bays has been very helpful to my development as a shooter. I would say that I treat USSA as what I wish I had in my backyard--a robust bermed up area where I can pretty much do what I want within reason. As such it's kind of a 'you get out what you put in' kind of arrangement to me, so I almost always plan an additional hour into my range time for setup and tear down.

The only major downsides I would mention are the shortage of usable target stands (I frequently call the range desk and ask if I can borrow some from adjacent bays if they're not in use--I've never had them tell me no, but they do request that I make exchanges between bays if possible, which is rare), and the flooding that occurs in certain bays and on the 300 yard range. I had a long conversation with one of the managers last year regarding the flooding and his plan was solid but ambitious. Not sure where he is with that but I know the 300 yard range has been closed for a while so I'm assuming it's underway. Other than that I can see that there are some areas where things could be kept up a little better, the steel isn't always great on the pistol bays, and there are tables that need repair or replacement, but for the most part it's not stuff that really prevents me from doing what I went there to do.

Since I got a Raven target I've mostly been using that, but I like having multiple targets for move and shoot drills. The pricing is very reasonable to me and I've never been hassled about picking up my own brass. I do wish they went a little longer than 300 yards, but for zeroing and hold over testing it's enough for me for now. Until I have my own 20+ acres and I can build my own 50 yard bay(s), USSA is the next best thing.

Hodgelodge

New to the site!
Reaction score
No steel challenge. A few steel plates but not like it was when I joined. I was told they have plenty of plates but they won't put them out because people shoot HP rifles at them and tear them up. Hav'nt been in a month or so, plan on going next week, I'll update if its any better. I joined for the steel so I've been a bit disapointed.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
USSA was meant to be a country club facility from what I’ve been told. Only the problem seems to be that few want to pay country club prices to maintain a facility like USSA.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No steel challenge. A few steel plates but not like it was when I joined. I was told they have plenty of plates but they won't put them out because people shoot HP rifles at them and tear them up. Hav'nt been in a month or so, plan on going next week, I'll update if its any better. I joined for the steel so I've been a bit disapointed.

Same song and dance from them for over 2 years. At least they told you they arent putting it out. They tell me "soon" or "just waiting on stands" when I inquire.

Latest posts

Top Bottom