Tell me the good, bad and ugly about 10mm...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The good: It's a powerful autoloading round with a wide range of applications from defense to hunting.
The bad: Recoil is stiffer than the 45 Auto, ammo is more expensive and less available.
The ugly: 10mm fanboys.

I've got a Ruger 1911 10mm. It's fun to shoot but not as much fun as a good 38.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like them!

Expensive to shoot, although right now 10mm ammo is cheaper than 9mm.

Better to reload, but once fired brass is not readily available. When found, it commands a high price enough that new brass is competitive in price.

Factory power ammo does bulge the brass slightly in most guns, needing extra case prep for reloading.

The Glock 20 and 29 are very reliable running loads from both ends of the spectrum. They will easily cycle loads in 40 S&W velocities.

Frame is the same as the 21 and 30 if you’ve owned these.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like them!

Expensive to shoot, although right now 10mm ammo is cheaper than 9mm.

Better to reload, but once fired brass is not readily available. When found, it commands a high price enough that new brass is competitive in price.

Factory power ammo does bulge the brass slightly in most guns, needing extra case prep for reloading.

The Glock 20 and 29 are very reliable running loads from both ends of the spectrum. They will easily cycle loads in 40 S&W velocities.

Frame is the same as the 21 and 30 if you’ve owned these.
I'm with him ^^^^^
I'm a big revolver fan, but when it comes to the semis, I really like the 10mm. Still like the .45acp, but the 10mm has grown on me to meet or surpass it (partially because of the extra capacity) in a self-loader. Yes, ammo is expensive, so that is a down side.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
10mm ammo prices can vary a lot. When SIG started producing excellent 10mm a 50 round box could be had for $19, bulk S&B could had for $300/1000. I hope to see that again some day. Neither of these are weak loads pushed by other manufacturers.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have g40 and for what little I’ve shot it I really like it. Also my first glock 300 rounds in so far. Shot only sig ammo it was stoutest fmj could find locally. Have some 200 grain Underwood but not shot but a couple.

Once I get some more brass I’ll start loading for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom