Tell us your traveling troubles over your lifetime.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't even fancy going to Canada to hunt moose or anything else because of their gun laws which might even be worse than NYC. I might be able to carry a rifle to hunt in BC but no sidearm. Best to hunt moose, elk or deer in a CC state if one can.

Here are all the eight CC states in which one can hunt moose (states have moose seasons) and non-residents may carry a concealed or open handgun:

Alaska, Idaho, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, Utah, Vermont and Wyoming

Best to stay on American soil in pro-gun parts to hunt deer, moose or elk if one can. D@m! Oklahoma has no moose (Alces alces) season. There are plenty of two-legged "moose" in Ok, but I doubt there are open hunting seasons for this particular species.

hsr.jpg

Last edited:

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a “Feel-Good” pleasant travel experience I had a couple years ago.

Two years ago when traveling from New Mexico to Oklahoma I was exiting I-40 at Vega, TX to use the restroom at the Flying J travel stop and all the warning lights came on and the engine died in my Chevy 3500 Express van. I was able to coast into the Flying J parking lot. Fortunately I ended up facing south. There was a 30 to 40 mile an hour cold wind blowing out of the north.

I pop the hood and see the serpentine belt has been shredded and with further inspection I see why. The pulley that is built into the water pump had the center weld break that attaches to the shaft of the water pump.

I always carry a fairly complete set of tools with me to handle small repairs, so I resign myself to taking everything apart and seeing if I can find a parts house. I go do my restroom business and ask the counter clerk if there is a parts store close by. Just happens there is a parts store about 4 or 5 blocks north of the Flying J. I get the number for the parts store and call and see if they have a water pump, fan clutch, thermostat and serpentine belt in stock for a Chevy 6.0 engine. They do, but they can’t deliver because only one person is working that day. I think to myself, I’m going to have to carry the fan and fan clutch 4 or 5 blocks into the cold north wind and all the parts including anti-freeze back and most likely two trips to carry everything. The fan attaches to the fan clutch with a threaded shaft and without a belt holding tension on the pulley, I can’t un-thread the fan from the clutch.

So, I’m in the process of taking everything apart when a this guy in a beat up old car pulls up and rolls down his window to talk to me. This guy has a dirty floppy hat on a long gray beard and looks like a bum. His car makes Swampratt’s camo themed car look good. I’m thinking to myself, “He’s going to hit me up for money.” Often times when stopping at truck stops people hit me up for gas money.

This old guy that looks like a bum and driving a beat up old compact car that hasn’t been washed in years, asks me if I’m broke down and if I am going to need to go to a parts store. I tell him that yes, I’m broke down and yes, I will need to go to a parts store. He tells me he is headed to the parts store and offers me a ride. I tell him I’m only half-way getting things disassembled and it will be a little longer before I am ready to go get parts. He says. “No problem, I’ll go check on my cows and be back in about a half hour.

I get everything disassembled and he shows up and I load everything in the back seat and he pushes all the junk and trash off the front seat to the floor and we head to the parts store.

Turns out this old guy has a large ranch nearby and is a heck of a nice guy who is quite intelligent and with a great sense of humor. He also knows the people that own the parts store very well. The parts store is a brand new very nice Car Quest parts store with a machine shop and auto repair shop next door and he has them remove the fan from the fan clutch for me at no charge.

I get all the parts I need to make the repairs and he takes me back to the Flying J and refuses to let me pay him anything.

When I get back to Oklahoma I call the parts store and speak with the fellow who sold me the parts and get the gentleman’s address that gave the ride then go to Tractor Supply and purchase a gift card and send the gentleman a nice thank you card and enclose the gift card.

I do my best never to judge a person by their looks and this experience reaffirmed, “Never judge a book by it’s cover”.

Traveling can be an adventure and some adventures are more rewarding than others, even if they involve difficulties.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On our last trip in our RV the software that the Oklahoma State Parks use for reservations flaked out and double booked out site on Wednesday in the middle of the week we had reserved. Unfortunately for us it listed the other people on Wednesday not us even though it showed us having it for the week. The campground host told us we had to leave and give the other people the spot. They offered us another spot which we declined. Next thing I know the state ranger is there telling me to move or I’d be going to jail and our truck and trailer would be impounded.
Arbuckle Lake possibly?

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About 10 years ago, my wife and I bought tickets to fly to LaGuardia Airport in NYC to visit my family for Christmas. The most direct flight was from Dallas International. Then, at age 64, I walked and stood with significant difficulty due to rheumatoid disease. During the Security Screen, I couldn’t bend over to remove my shoes without a chair. When I requested one, it annoyed Airport Security Staff whom ushered me aside and told me that I needed ‘Special Screening’ and a scan with a bomb detection device (which required a 30 minute delay to get). I’m a U.S. Citizen!, VN Vet and former Certified Reserve Deputy in Pittsburg County and not a prisoner suspect, refugee in a war zone or illegal alien, but I was treated with an attitude reflecting indifference, annoyance and disrespect. I will eat a pair of soiled skivvies found on the floor in a Bus Station Restroom before I’ll fly again on a Commercial Airline…..

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a “Feel-Good” pleasant travel experience I had a couple years ago.

Two years ago when traveling from New Mexico to Oklahoma I was exiting I-40 at Vega, TX to use the restroom at the Flying J travel stop and all the warning lights came on and the engine died in my Chevy 3500 Express van. I was able to coast into the Flying J parking lot. Fortunately I ended up facing south. There was a 30 to 40 mile an hour cold wind blowing out of the north.

I pop the hood and see the serpentine belt has been shredded and with further inspection I see why. The pulley that is built into the water pump had the center weld break that attaches to the shaft of the water pump.

I always carry a fairly complete set of tools with me to handle small repairs, so I resign myself to taking everything apart and seeing if I can find a parts house. I go do my restroom business and ask the counter clerk if there is a parts store close by. Just happens there is a parts store about 4 or 5 blocks north of the Flying J. I get the number for the parts store and call and see if they have a water pump, fan clutch, thermostat and serpentine belt in stock for a Chevy 6.0 engine. They do, but they can’t deliver because only one person is working that day. I think to myself, I’m going to have to carry the fan and fan clutch 4 or 5 blocks into the cold north wind and all the parts including anti-freeze back and most likely two trips to carry everything. The fan attaches to the fan clutch with a threaded shaft and without a belt holding tension on the pulley, I can’t un-thread the fan from the clutch.

So, I’m in the process of taking everything apart when a this guy in a beat up old car pulls up and rolls down his window to talk to me. This guy has a dirty floppy hat on a long gray beard and looks like a bum. His car makes Swampratt’s camo themed car look good. I’m thinking to myself, “He’s going to hit me up for money.” Often times when stopping at truck stops people hit me up for gas money.

This old guy that looks like a bum and driving a beat up old compact car that hasn’t been washed in years, asks me if I’m broke down and if I am going to need to go to a parts store. I tell him that yes, I’m broke down and yes, I will need to go to a parts store. He tells me he is headed to the parts store and offers me a ride. I tell him I’m only half-way getting things disassembled and it will be a little longer before I am ready to go get parts. He says. “No problem, I’ll go check on my cows and be back in about a half hour.

I get everything disassembled and he shows up and I load everything in the back seat and he pushes all the junk and trash off the front seat to the floor and we head to the parts store.

Turns out this old guy has a large ranch nearby and is a heck of a nice guy who is quite intelligent and with a great sense of humor. He also knows the people that own the parts store very well. The parts store is a brand new very nice Car Quest parts store with a machine shop and auto repair shop next door and he has them remove the fan from the fan clutch for me at no charge.

I get all the parts I need to make the repairs and he takes me back to the Flying J and refuses to let me pay him anything.

When I get back to Oklahoma I call the parts store and speak with the fellow who sold me the parts and get the gentleman’s address that gave the ride then go to Tractor Supply and purchase a gift card and send the gentleman a nice thank you card and enclose the gift card.

I do my best never to judge a person by their looks and this experience reaffirmed, “Never judge a book by it’s cover”.

Traveling can be an adventure and some adventures are more rewarding than others, even if they involve difficulties.
I'm fortunate enough to have never had such serious mechanical issues with a motorized vehicle while traveling a considerable distance from home. If I did, I'd either have the rig towed to a shop somewhere or just leave it and catch a Greyhound home.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 10 years ago, my wife and I bought tickets to fly to LaGuardia Airport in NYC to visit my family for Christmas. The most direct flight was from Dallas International. Then, at age 64, I walked and stood with significant difficulty due to rheumatoid disease. During the Security Screen, I couldn’t bend over to remove my shoes without a chair. When I requested one, it annoyed Airport Security Staff whom ushered me aside and told me that I needed ‘Special Screening’ and a scan with a bomb detection device (which required a 30 minute delay to get). I’m a U.S. Citizen!, VN Vet and former Certified Reserve Deputy in Pittsburg County and not a prisoner suspect, refugee in a war zone or illegal alien, but I was treated with an attitude reflecting indifference, annoyance and disrespect. I will eat a pair of soiled skivvies found on the floor in a Bus Station Restroom before I’ll fly again on a Commercial Airline…..
I'd gotten an attorney and possibly sued TSA or whomever. It sounds like a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, maybe. I don't even want to talk about my crappy experience with Delta Airlines once. I try to avoid commercial planes like the plague. I've only flown once since 9/11 and that was back in late 2002. I got jacked with stupid questions from TSA about all the small stuff I had in my briefcase inculding an expensive Parker gold pen/pencil set. These days, I virtually only travel in a car or truck I drive myself even through several states. The Amtrak train I took round trip from CA to Denver in 1986 sucked too. People who do terrorism like 9/11 often just want to cause disruption and hassle on our American soil. Such disruption and hassle as an aftermath of terrorist bullchit causes undignified treatment toward innocent folks who travel and added costs in time, money, energy, quality of life and resources.

Latest posts

Top Bottom