Tell us your traveling troubles over your lifetime.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
WE have had many mis-adventures while traveling, It seems those are the ones we remember. One that we still laugh about, a few years ago we were up around the great lakes, had been to Mackinac Island a great place to visit. We went west from there along the Canadian border and were in a small town in Minnesota, when we decided to get a room. I think their was only one motel in this town, and it looked nice and clean. We rented a room and when we got our luggage into the room, I notced ear plugs in sealed packages on the night stand, printed on the ear plug packages was "for our customers convenience!" Well this didn't make any since, untill we pulled back the curtin n the window. About 50 feet from the motel was not only a train track, but a RR switch-yard. We slept well from being tired and with the aid of ear plugs, and brought a couple of pairs home as souvenirs!

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WE have had many mis-adventures while traveling, It seems those are the ones we remember. One that we still laugh about, a few years ago we were up around the great lakes, had been to Mackinac Island a great place to visit. We went west from there along the Canadian border and were in a small town in Minnesota, when we decided to get a room. I think their was only one motel in this town, and it looked nice and clean. We rented a room and when we got our luggage into the room, I notced ear plugs in sealed packages on the night stand, printed on the ear plug packages was "for our customers convenience!" Well this didn't make any since, untill we pulled back the curtin n the window. About 50 feet from the motel was not only a train track, but a RR switch-yard. We slept well from being tired and with the aid of ear plugs, and brought a couple of pairs home as souvenirs!
When I was growing up we lived about 6 blocks from a switch yard that did most of the switching at night. The sound of cars banging, the horns tooting and the rumble of the engines, became a comforting sound, especially in the summer when the windows were open. You could say I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks literally and figuratively.

I then went to work for Missouri Pacific Railroad and worked maintenance of way and slept in bunk cars on sidings where the trains would go by on the main lines at night. Slept like a baby. There are times I miss the sounds of the trains at night.

Here in Guthrie, we are about 8 miles from the line that goes through Guthrie and when the atmosphere is correct, I step outside and listen to the trains rumbling by and tooting their horns at crossings. Brings back fond memories and I find the sound peaceful.

One man's discomfort can be another man's comfort. Sort of like, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Like I said, I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks and damn glad I did. We weren't poor. I suppose we were lower middle class. Our parents were frugal, so they lived their lives without many indulgences and they were my best teachers. They enjoyed the simple pleasures of life.

The sound of trains is one of my simple pleasures in life.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I've never heard of a KIA campground...

...is that someplace where one has to sleep in a car?

As for KOA campgrounds, those are hit or miss. Wife and I have stayed in 6 or 8 of them in our RV travels and had very little trouble. The only one that was a hassle was one in Utah where the spaces were pretty limited in size. What with other RV's and the owner's vehicles parked in the way, I had to back out of our site to be able to leave.

Other KOA campgrounds, such as two in Wyoming, were great with excellent people running them.

KOA is a franchise

All depends on who who owns, who is managing, how much they care.

My guess would be, owner and manager not the same person, better chance of manager not caring.

We have stated in 3-4, they were good.
Private owned seem to be the best.
State and Fed operated are like going to McD. Not great, but consistent. You KNOW what you will get. Typically, less expensive than private campgrounds.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

By contrast, we were in Colorado some years back and stayed at a motel that was right next to a drive-in theater. If I remember right, there was a volume knob on the wall which one could use to hear what was going on in the movie. All the rooms faced the theater.

I know that I have seen it since then as we drove through Colorado, but I just can't remember the name of the town. If I remember right, it was west of the main north/south highway.

Edit: I just looked up information on it, and it looks like it is in Monte Vista, CO. It's called the "Movie Motel" and is a Best Western.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was an idiot kid, I had a 1953 Ford that was not in good shape and when I was almost home I heard a squeak and then the front wheel outran me. It twisted off the entire spindle and went down the road because it needed a little grease.
Later in life I was in the military going through Weatherford Okla at 3 AM and the window was down since I had no A/C and I heard a squeak, squeak, squeak as I went around a curve. I knew what it was and pulled over and I had tools and a can of cup grease in my trunk and pulled and greased the wheel and I was on the road again. I felt like Willie Nelson!]Later in life-a few years, I had a '66 Ford and going from Oklahoma to Lubbock doing the speed limit and the cooling fan sheared off the shat of the water pump and did some major damage to the radiator. Again, I had my tools and a Highway Patrol came by and I asked him if he'd take me to a parts house in a nearby town which he did. I bought a new water pump and asked him if he'd mind taking me back the 4 miles or so to to the car and he said, "I'm not a taxi service" but he took me anyway. I replaced the water pump and tried to pinch the torn tubes in the radiator, bought some radiator sealer and made it from station to station for water back to Lubbock where I bought a ne radiator. I've never forgotten what the Officer told me, he was right but it would have been a long walk.

Last edited:

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haven’t heard of those.
I checked with my inside corp. contact. There are only three open now, Guthrie, Bulls Gap TN, and Bates City MO. They are scheduled to open 7 more by the end of the year. The first mid-size location will be in Georgia in lake February: 45 spots, splash pad, pickle ball court, and other amenities. That’s their plans, but the vaccine mandate seems to have things somewhat up in the air right now.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coming up on Cache Creek, British Columbia a few summers back thought it best to stay the night as I’d been driving about 16 hours and I had slept in the truck the previous two nights. It’s not a big town but its got a few hotels as it‘s at the intersection of two major highways, Highway 1 that heads east and Highway 97 that turns into the Alcan Highway at Dawson Creek.

Stopped at the first two motels that front the highway. Well I’m not paying $150 for somewhere to sleep for 8 hours. As I was getting back in the truck I spied a sign for the Tumbleweed Motel offa the main highway. The sign said $45 per night. Now that’s what I’m talking about!

Pull into the lot and as I got out of the truck I immediately noticed that familiar smell of home cooking from East India. So aromatic! Walked into lobby and rang the buzzer as the placard on the counter said to. A gentleman came to the desk and for just a moment we stared at each other in silence.

Since I wasn’t sure he was going to speak I told him I’d like a room for the night. He reached back to the keyboard and then handed me the key to room #16. I’ll never forget room #16. Again we stood there in that moment of awkward silence. I reached for my wallet.

Surprisingly the clerk spoke. He said “There is no need to pay me right now. Go to the room and inspect it to make sure it’s meets your satisfactions. Then come back. We are very tired of people coming back after they pay for the room and then want a refund. This is too much work.”

So as I did as he instructed. I wasn’t really expecting much for $45. Had to jiggle the door knob a bit to get the door open after I inserted the key and turned it. No biggie. Walked straight to the bed pulled the blanket back and gave the linens the smell and look test. Threadbare but fresh and clean. Thats all I needed.

Went back and paid the clerk. Told him I wouldn’t be back to ask for a refund. He finally smiled. I mean it’s good to support small business owners, right?

Got my bag outta the truck and settled in. About thirty minutes later I felt the call of nature so I get my weary bones up and headed for the bathroom. Well, I hadn’t noticed on inspection but the bathroom door didn’t quite open all the way.

The bathroom door was hitting on the sink so it only opened about 1/3 of the way. So I turned sideways to get in. Then I noticed that if you wanted to sit on the toilet you had to close the door. Okay, not the end of the world. Close the door then I realized that in order to sit on the toilet both of your legs need to fit between the metal legs that were holding up the 1950’s sink.

After 9 knee surgeries my knees don’t bend that well. And this toilet stood up about as high as something you’d find in a daycare for toddlers. Somehow I managed to land right on it as I feel backwards. Getting up presented its own challenges.

The water pressure coming out of the shower was about as affective as two geese spitting at you. But on a positive note the rust color in the water cleared up after about 5 minutes and it was refreshingly lukewarm. All in all I’d recommend the Tumbleweed Motel in Cache Creek for the very budget conscious traveler.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...tel-Cache_Creek_British_Columbia.html#REVIEWS
82EE25D5-C3CC-4A2A-894A-703E82AC7724.jpeg

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone ever noticed when driving to Colorado from the east on I-70 the snow capped mountains look like Oklahoma thunderstorms until you get about 70 some odd miles away?

Has anyone ever noticed mountain streams and creeks run uphill?

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
By contrast, we were in Colorado some years back and stayed at a motel that was right next to a drive-in theater. If I remember right, there was a volume knob on the wall which one could use to hear what was going on in the movie. All the rooms faced the theater.

I know that I have seen it since then as we drove through Colorado, but I just can't remember the name of the town. If I remember right, it was west of the main north/south highway.

Edit: I just looked up information on it, and it looks like it is in Monte Vista, CO. It's called the "Movie Motel" and is a Best Western.
They hold a custom car show and 1/8 mile dirt drags for pre 1964 vehicles, always a fun day. Great place to stay, we put several people up there when we lived in La Garita which is just north of there. Great fishing on Rio Grande, big northern Pike and brown trout. Close to good elk areas in the San Juan Mt. Close to Creede and South to New Mexico line. We like prospecting SW of Monte Vista on feeder creeks of the Alamosa river below the old Summitville mine area. Always color in the mini sluice and pan there

Latest posts

Top Bottom