Terminal Ballistics from the Morgue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, but most of what Marshal wrote on was his theories of the one-shot-stop, and which calibers would accomplish this, him and Sanow were in cahoots over this, and for a short time had some folks believing thats all they needed was one shot i.e. the majic bullet. Short of a snipers perfect shot, we know today its just not so, hence the reason every instructor teachs to shoot till the BG stops.
They never actually advocated or suggested the *use* of "one shot" in practice.....that was simply after-the-fact interpreted data.
It's intention was to study the actual effectiveness between rounds, never to promote the "One shot stop" as a tactic.

At any rate, the posted morgue article is so full of holes I simply do not have time to begin plugging them this morning. :)
His ".45 is a death ray" leanings are quite obviously rooted much more in guesswork and emotion than science.

PiusSemper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel good at this moment, I carry a S&W j frame 38 or a M&P 45. By my bed is an 870 tactical with 3 inch 00. Great read and info rich...thanks for taking the time

rmark

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The OP's statement about seeing BG in the morgue with multiple .380 or 9mm hits may simply be the result of quicker second shots from lower recoiling cartridges - either 45 or 9mm may give a one shot stop yet the lower recoil 9mm may allow a unneeded second shot before the BG stops. As to clothing, etc clogging up hollow point bullets, my brother and a ex-law enforcement friend of his did some informal testing using blue jean material and a high percentage of hollow points did not open up (I don't know details, he just mentioned it in conversation one day).

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The OP's statement about seeing BG in the morgue with multiple .380 or 9mm hits may simply be the result of quicker second shots from lower recoiling cartridges - either 45 or 9mm may give a one shot stop yet the lower recoil 9mm may allow a unneeded second shot before the BG stops. As to clothing, etc clogging up hollow point bullets, my brother and a ex-law enforcement friend of his did some informal testing using blue jean material and a high percentage of hollow points did not open up (I don't know details, he just mentioned it in conversation one day).

Hollow point bullets depend on hydraulic force to open up. IE: the mostly water body tissue in an animal. Anything dry that gets in the point of the bullet will prevent expansion to some degree if it completely fills the tip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom