Testing out my new 50 BMG!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just consider your backstop when shooting at pigs. 50"s like to skip and can travel several miles.
Guys were shooting at our local club and thought everything was good.
That is til the Sheriff came along and they found out they were putting holes in a pickup in a guys front yard,
over a several hundred foot high hill and 2 miles away. Needless to say the club insurance had to buy the guy a new truck.
They were just lucky nobody was hit.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this upper considered a "receiver" by the ATF and need to be transferred through an FFL?

I didnt know that was a thing for any uppers, but apparently it is so for the SHTF 50.

BATFE determined that our SHTF50 upper assemblies constitute a “receiver” of a firearm. This means that all SHTF50 upper assemblies, from this point on, need to transfer through a FFL dealer.

https://safetyharborfirearms.com/product/shtf-50-mag-fed-upper-conversion/
I thought so too after doing some research and reading that exact thing, but I called the guy to ask him and he said no. I guess maybe that's just something shtf does, I'm not sure.

I wanna see what the 50 can do with three or four piggies lined up in one shot.
Hopefully they line up like that if/when I get a shot at them.

It would be great for taking out hogs that are hiding behind a concrete wall.
:laugh6::laugh6::laugh6:

Just consider your backstop when shooting at pigs.
Definitely.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I regret selling mine years ago. I also regret not buying all the ammo I could as well lol. 50 bullets are easy to see traveling too, large projectiles lol. White line crossing the T post.
Screenshot_20210711-150448_Samsung Internet.jpg

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I regret selling mine years ago. I also regret not buying all the ammo I could as well lol. 50 bullets are easy to see traveling too, large projectiles lol. White line crossing the T post.
View attachment 213185
Yea that's cool, I was showing my youngest son that when I was making the video.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I’m not expecting any sort of precision out of this, and I’m not commenting on your shooting, aren’t those groups a little on the large side? I’m just thinking from an ammo or platform perspective. Anyone I’ve talked to with practical 50bmg experience (in the Marines) made it sound like you can hit man sized targets at 700-800 yards with relative ease, further should be a piece of cake as well. Assuming a personnel sized target is a 18” inch circle, you could have to be shooting a 1.5”ish group at 100yds.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I’m not expecting any sort of precision out of this, and I’m not commenting on your shooting, aren’t those groups a little on the large side? I’m just thinking from an ammo or platform perspective. Anyone I’ve talked to with practical 50bmg experience (in the Marines) made it sound like you can hit man sized targets at 700-800 yards with relative ease, further should be a piece of cake as well. Assuming a personnel sized target is a 18” inch circle, you could have to be shooting a 1.5”ish group at 100yds.
I'm sure with a military grade rifle it would easily be possible to hit targets out to 800 yards. This was $1700 as opposed to probably at least a $5000 rifle, most likely more than that for the military and this rifle doesn't have the best trigger. Also I'm still getting use to shooting this beast and I can tell I was anticipating the shot/recoil and still slightly "yanking" the trigger. I have no doubt that it will shoot better groups once I get use to it, but even if it didn't, I will only be taking shots out to about 300 yards where I hunt the hogs, so this will do the trick. Had I not pulled that first shot with the Hornady Amax, it would have been a much better group than what was shown. Those were only my 6th - 14th shots ever taken with this rifle. I'm sorry I couldn't put them all in one single hole for you, but I can't even do that with my smaller rifles. lol

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure with a military grade rifle it would easily be possible to hit targets out to 800 yards. This was $1700 as opposed to probably at least a $5000 rifle, most likely more than that for the military and this rifle doesn't have the best trigger. Also I'm still getting use to shooting this beast and I can tell I was anticipating the shot/recoil and still slightly "yanking" the trigger. I have no doubt that it will shoot better groups once I get use to it, but even if it didn't, I will only be taking shots out to about 300 yards where I hunt the hogs, so this will do the trick. Had I not pulled that first shot with the Hornady Amax, it would have been a much better group than what was shown. Those were only my 6th - 14th shots ever taken with this rifle. I'm sorry I couldn't put them all in one single hole for you, but I can't even do that with my smaller rifles. lol
I can’t say I would do any better, again, I’m not critiquing your skills. I think that just about anyone is gonna have an issue with the recoil of a single shot 50bmg rifle that prob weighs less than 14? Lbs. I know that I certainly have a tendency to be recoil sensitive with bigger stuff. Regardless of how things are starting out, I would say that getting that upper for that price is a great deal! I’m excited to see how things progress with this and what it does to a hog! I keep bouncing the idea around of getting something of the 50bmg flavor, but until then, I’ll have to just live it through your videos.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure you hit your mark either. Unless you were trying to sound less polite.

Edit: carryon, I probably missed intent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom