Testing out my new 50 BMG!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You must realize this is store ammo also.
I never had any luck with store ammo.
It has a brake on it also and that can allow carbon to build on the muzzle crown and hurt accuracy.

Another dink is sometimes bullets do not settle in at short distances.
Twist rate velocity and bullet length may not be optimum in that short barrel.

I like it though.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another dink is sometimes bullets do not settle in at short distances.
Twist rate velocity and bullet length may not be optimum in that short barrel.

I like it though.
Yea I was just reading about the 50 needing some distance to stabilize. I knew I might be sacrificing some accuracy with the short barrel, but for what I will be using it for, it should do the trick. Also wanted something "light weight" lol, to carry when I'm looking for the hogs. I'll have to get my sons fish scale and see what it weighs, but it sure doesn't feel all that light. lol

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I was just reading about the 50 needing some distance to stabilize. I knew I might be sacrificing some accuracy with the short barrel, but for what I will be using it for, it should do the trick. Also wanted something "light weight" lol, to carry when I'm looking for the hogs. I'll have to get my sons fish scale and see what it weighs, but it sure doesn't feel all that light. lol

well, I wouldn't want it too light!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Friend of mine has a 50 and told me he cut his barrel to I want to say 18"
His load he said would print 3 at 100 yards in the same hole.

I have not seen it yet or the same hole on paper.
I have seen others say same hole but more like a clover leaf.

The accuracy of the short barrel is possible.
As long as it can stick one behind the ear.

Not that you need to worry about where a 50 hits a hog.
Should leak out like a water hose on entry and exit.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone here actually shot game with 50BMG? I have seen a Mule Deer buck and several rock chucks killed with 50 BMG. The buck had a 1/2" hole drilled right through both shoulders, hunched up at the shot and just laid down and went to sleep permanently. No drama. The rock chucks just stopped moving. Spotting shots was easy.

Gun was a shop built dropping block single shot. Ammo was military ball. Accuracy was very good, but the guy who built then gun was as a brilliant marksman.

It will be interesting to see the video of the pig being shot.

Heed the warning about watching where you shoot, the big bullets bounce a long long ways.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see the video of the pig being shot.

Heed the warning about watching where you shoot, the big bullets bounce a long long ways.
I've been out looking for them the last few evenings sweatin my butt off and drenched in off, but no luck yet. The place I hunt they just seem to be passing through every once in a while, so hopefully I will catch them in the open pretty soon. I will definitely need to watch whats in the background before I take a shot.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve shot Barrett 50 cal several times and didn’t find the recoil to be excessive, about like a shotgun shooting 3” mags. That which probably gets to most shooters is the concussive blast and pressure wave. When I shoot one I always use ear plugs and ear muffs. Personally I find them to be an expensive novelty inside 1,500 yards but they’re fun to shoot when your buddy foots the bill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom