Testing reloads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot 3-5 rounds for a total of 12-20 shot string when I'm load developing but I have a MTU contour barrel with a 0.93" muzzle diameter. I believe my Tikka has about 0.75" maybe more muzzle diameter. Both are in free floated stocks and one is custom bedded. Wait time is the time it takes to walk to/from target, record info in data book, load a fresh dip and discuss reloads with my son. One day I wasn't too smart and put 80 rounds down range without a break other than top loading my rifle.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Load testing is 5 shot groups at 100 yards, unless I'm getting pressure signs or some reason to scrap the load.

5 rounds, 2 minutes between shots.
After finding the best load, I shoot a group at 200 yrds. A few times, what was a good group at 100, but not the best, will be outstanding at 200 yards.

After settling on a load, I rarely shout groups, opting to shoot gongs, offhand, at varying distances.

Every has their own method

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hunters should always site in with the first round of a cold bore as we talked about previously. Always note the first shot and then shoot a 3-5 shot group and see where you are on the target. Typically you won't be far off at all, so it's something to test and make a mental note of.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis I need to learn more patience where I shoot at I shoot once take a stick and turn over rocks look for scorpions and hope I don’t find a rattlesnake while waiting

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What about follow up rounds if your hunting? Stupid question I know their shouldn’t be but?

That is why I like 3 quick rounds and many times I will punch holes at different targets quick like.

WHY!
Because I have a lifetime combo hunt fish license and i can bag my antler and antlerless on the same day withing the same few seconds.
POW...POW.
Buck and doe standing beside each other both fall to the 30-06 bolt action within seconds of each other.

I want to know what I can do and what the gun can do.

I have taken a temp gun to the range with me and check barrel temps and see when my groups begin to open up.
My heavy barrel .308 had a sweet spot temp range.

But like Dennis stated the cold clean bore shot needs to be on the money.
I would see if cold clean and cold dirty the next day or next week would still print on the money.

I found I needed to swab 3-4 clean dry swabs through my barrel to remove any oil after cleaning to be able to stick the cold bore on the money.
Oily bore would open the group.
then next couple would be a little closer to each other.

Fun trying different things.

Latest posts

Top Bottom