Testing Some 44 Mag Loads with the Raging Bull

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally able to find some powder and primers, so I loaded up a few rounds to test in the 44 mag raging bull. I rarely ever shoot pistols, so I'm not even sure at what distance I should be testing these at. Also is it me pulling those bullets to the left? I guess I need more practice and more testing to be sure, but that would be my guess at this point.

The guy at the counter at h&h said I would get some huge fireballs with this powder, which is why I picked it over H110, but I haven't seen a single one yet out of the 7 shots I got on video! lol.

One more thing. This powder seems really dirty, so I'm wondering if I'm getting a good burn or not? The guy also said I would need large pistol primers for this powder and bullet combo, but I'm wondering if large pistol magnum primers would help that? I'm new to loading pistols, so any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know your answer about fireballs. I have never seen one out of mine that I noticed but I may be too engrossed in aiming to notice any. I have never used winchester powder either at least in a .44. I have tried H110, Lil Gun and currently playing with Enforcer simply because I can find it. Still working with it but it seems like a good one for me. Lil gun was OK. The 110 I spray all over for some reason and never got it down with that. Your powder looks accurate enough not sure about the 2fliers.

I always just use L mag pistol primers simply because its a mag caliber. but I really dont think that would solve a dirty burning power. I always thought that was just looking for some accuracy in big cases. I really don't think any pistol case would be that hard to completely burn/ ignite and that advice was for large rifle cases but who knows. Some are just cleaner burning than others in my experience.

I have shot mine anywhere from about 20 to 125ish yds but that depends if I have a suitable rest or not. If it is off hand shooting I am lucky to even hit near a bull at 25 or 30 yds. I suck at offhand pistol shooting but can really bean a target a good ways out there with a rest with my pistol. A few shots that I didn't even believe over the years. I did kill one doe deer about 20 yrs ago with mine at about 55-60yds that I had to track a long way.
Sorry I am not more help. There are a ton of guys here that can help though.

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Seems MPP would be better with 44 magnum rounds.... which powder did you use. Not enough crimp can cause powder not to fully burn as well. Lot of factors but some of the guys with 44 experience will come along I am sure. I load 357 so not the same LOL.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Seems MPP would be better with 44 magnum rounds.... which powder did you use. Not enough crimp can cause powder not to fully burn as well. Lot of factors but some of the guys with 44 experience will come along I am sure. I load 357 so not the same LOL.
Never mind ...W296.............. I watched but .... yea I did not listen :cool:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
H110 and 296 are the same powder from the same plant only variation may be lot numbers.
Check the diameter of all your cylinders in that revolver.
At the back and the front of the cylinders.

Hopefully you have a good one where all holes measure exactly the same.
My Ruger 45 Colt Blackhawk was .0035" different between smallest and largest hole and this resulted in very poor accuracy.
There was also a constriction where the barrel entered the frame.
Found that out when slugging it.

Something else I found out was brass I used was all over the place on thickness and length.
When shooting for accuracy (Hunting) I need everything exactly the same.

Measure and measure again.

You did very well with your shots.
My 45acp always has dirty cases but very accurate so I do not worry about dirty cases.
Take accuracy first and worry about dirty cases last.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check the diameter of all your cylinders in that revolver.
At the back and the front of the cylinders.

My 45acp always has dirty cases but very accurate so I do not worry about dirty cases.
Take accuracy first and worry about dirty cases last.
Good to know, thanks! I will check the cylinders and not worry about the dirtiness. I just thought I might be doing something wrong. lol. I'm still fairly new to reloading and seem to learn something new every time I post on here.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks! I will check the cylinders and not worry about the dirtiness. I just thought I might be doing something wrong. lol. I'm still fairly new to reloading and seem to learn something new every time I post on here.
You will need a clean cylinder and a set of pin gauges to check the cylinders.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I quit building full-house magnums some time ago, but I did use H110 in my 44 mag loads. MPPs are important with H110 (I also understand W296 is the same stuff….), as is the minimum charge. I used Nosler 240 grain JHPs, which I thought were good-they were not! I had jacket separation (and hideous accuracy), within published powder charges. The cost of “magnum” capable bullets and not being much fun to shoot convinced me to buy the bear-killers and load fun target rounds at moderate velocities with my 45ACP powder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom