Texas Dem Lawmakers Who Fled State to Skip Election Reform Will Be Arrested Upon Return

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe that was my intent. I do want people to assemble and vote in blocks, and get together to lobby for issues. This can and should happen without a political party however.

That's kinda the same thing.

And lobbying the government is also kind of a basis of our system of government. The last thing we want is a government full of "elected officials" who are totally insulated from their consituency.

You really can't have it both ways - telling people they can associate, but only in certain ways.

mavs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I was referencing campaign finance and ballot access laws. Although, political parties do go have other avenues to limit the voting public, like in Oklahoma the measure to restrict the initiative referendum.
http://okvoterchoice.org/
Well, I don't see a thing you have suggested that is likely to get changed. I still don't understand a couple of them and you didn't bother to explain what you meant.

Mandatory criminal action against lobbyists ? And who do you think is going to pass those laws ?

Laws establishing corporate personhood ? What is that ?

Term limits ? Good luck with getting that law changed.

"standing given to any individual tax payer to seek removal of the elected official before their term expires " what the heck does that mean?

so, maybe try again, thanks

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And lobbying the government is also kind of a basis of our system of government. The last thing we want is a government full of "elected officials" who are totally insulated from their consituency.
Yeah... but they should be lobbied with VOTES, not suitcases full of cash.

Pretty sure the status quo was NOT the intent of our founders.
:drunk2:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the arrest wouldn’t be a criminal case. The sergeant at arms would arrest them & transport to the capitol to make them do their job.
FWIW, that's what Ted Cruz said on his podcast--basically the "arrest" is carried out by Texas LEOs, but it consists of bodily taking them to the legislative chamber, not throwing them in the pokey. He was the Texas Solicitor General the last time this happened, so he has some experience with it.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, that's what Ted Cruz said on his podcast--basically the "arrest" is carried out by Texas LEOs, but it consists of bodily taking them to the legislative chamber, not throwing them in the pokey. He was the Texas Solicitor General the last time this happened, so he has some experience with it.
That I can agree with. As a D or R you can deny a quorum, however if LEO come for you and deliver you to the legislative chamber, that is an appropriate response

mavs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
What do you think will happen to Lindsey Graham and other republicans who won't attend the US Senate, denying a quorum in the Senate, when they bring up the vote on eliminating the filibuster and the $5 billion reconciliation bill ?

saltydog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone seems to blame politicians for are problems but not everyone really understands that “the American people “ voted these people in. These politicians are a direct reflection of their voters. Now how can you fix this problem?

:coffee2:

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone seems to blame politicians for are problems but not everyone really understands that “the American people “ voted these people in. These politicians are a direct reflection of their voters. Now how can you fix this problem?

:coffee2:
Go back to voting laws that set up a system that allows access to voting for all, but doesn't make it so easy that non informed or non motivated people vote and it makes cheating extremely easy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom