Texas gets Constitutional Carry!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/06/16/texas-constitutional-carry-greg-abbott/amp/

Texans can carry handguns without a license or training starting Sept. 1, after Gov. Greg Abbott on Wednesday signed the permitless carry bill into law.

House Bill 1927 eliminates the requirement for Texas residents to obtain a license to carry handguns if they’re not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a gun. The signing was reported by the Texas Legislature's official website, which tracks the progress of legislation. Abbott's office has announced a ceremonial signing of the bill and other gun-related legislation at 11 a.m. Thursday.

Abbott's signature seals a win to conservative activists who have long sought the measure without success. Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and other Republicans who were initially noncommittal about the bill were under immense political pressure this session from conservatives and gun rights advocates, who have long lobbied the Texas Legislature for permitless carry but historically struggled to win support.

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do they reciprocate with other constitutional carry states?

Still have to have a valid permit from your state of residence if you want to carry in TX as a non-resident?
So far as I understand, for Texans to carry outside of Texas, they would still need a permit that's recognized by other states. I just am not certain if they have changed the requirements to obtain that permit. Most Constitutional Carry states rights are limited to their own citizens as I understand it.

I may be wrong, though. I'd suggest researching it.

As for non Texas citizens carry rights, you still need a permit from your state that's reciprocal with Texas.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good questions. But the 30.06/30.07 felony rules still apply, I'd suspect, which still makes TX laws inferior to OK, in my opinion. That one law alone is horrible, if you ask me.

Even NM and CO are better in that respect, I learned on my recent trip.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They already had a peaceable journey law for traveling through with one in your car. This is great news. Welcome to the club TX.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That's great!

One correction...Texas now has a form of Permtless Carry. I don't know of any state that has actual Constitutional carry.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now if only they could pass laws to prevent that blue flood from voting and ruining their state..

Latest posts

Top Bottom