Texas Vacation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A vacation from... being retired?

Your mileage may vary when you retire, but I was more busy since retiring than I ever was while working. Somebody always wants a slice of your time since you don't "work" any more. My entire working career was in Industrial Maintenance, multi craft. Electrical, electronics, Control systems, hydraulic, mechanical and people knew that when they needed something fixed at home. Yeah, I could say no, but never did. I like to help people. Makes me feel good inside.
When in the RV nobody knows I know anything about anything. Consequently it's all about relaxing and having fun and I'm taking advantage of it! :D:D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forgot to mention earlier but one of the guys I was hanging with was a retired FBI Special Agent and one of the others was a retired Border Patrol supervisor from the Brownsville/ McAllen district.
He arranged a ride-along on a fast boat down the Rio Grande. Sorry, pics not allowed, but it was an interesting trip for sure. We witnessed a jet ski with two on the front, driver, two standing on each side and two more being pulled behind with ropes trying to get to the US side. The wing boat with us moved on them while we watched.
At the end of the day, we got a gift.

7a42609a6beb9c22f0b46a9c67f85313.jpg

ef86eb33baebc4d539e4c1dca4c025cd.jpg

Driving in that area you pass through border check points with drug dogs, electronic and radiological detectors.
The border patrol is not invasive at all they just want you to speak and talk to them. This pic is one near Massey’s gun range we went to. We had three AR’s open in the back seat with pistol cases as well. They looked in the window that I had rolled down at the guns and asked what we were doing. Just replied we were at the range exercising our 2A rights and we got a wave to go about our way. None of this YouTube drama stuff.

5e4270ceb2cc53ec687b5f7cd8068083.jpg

Just about forgot the pics of the sand castle contest on South Padre. Amazing work.

1ab23b5c3a82d2ffafffb5ca28501863.jpg

86ee0a3915e7ac221f451deacf58529c.jpg

4ee82f791a85361293cb179fb24205d6.jpg

Daily 4:00 happy hour at the gazebo near our RV. Every one invited. Crowds vary. Bring snacks.

8d91cc1dda7df98bccc0d4d3f5e5e4af.jpg

6c97cf1984bcf0baef410eab6efc07ce.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis I'm pretty sure that's the place my grandpa had his trailer. He spent most of several winters there. I bought the trailer, put it there and left it. Sold it in place too.

Red Panty Bar looks interesting! :blush:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis I'm pretty sure that's the place my grandpa had his trailer. He spent most of several winters there. I bought the trailer, put it there and left it. Sold it in place too.

Red Panty Bar looks interesting! :blush:

Amazing place. One more benefit is that it's two miles from any highway. If one travels from Mcallen through Pharr, Mercedes, Brownsville, there are dozens of RV parks for winter texans. Most are near the highway and the road noise is unbelievable.
You can actually buy a slip there, and rent it out when not there to recoup your investment. Tiny homes are acceptable. If any rig falls below the high standards of upkeep, your asked to leave the property. No trash campers allowed.
Propane trucks circle the place once daily in case you run out, and teams of Mexicans come around if you want to wash your entire RV starting with the roof, down to the tires/rims. Then they use Mothers Paste Wax to do the entire rig. $130.00 for the full deal.
My Tundra was needing detailed. Same crew came over, hand washed, dried, waxed the exterior and detailed the interior for $40. Took them less than an hour, and they moved on to the next job. Did a danged fine job on the detail.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amazing place. One more benefit is that it's two miles from any highway. If one travels from Mcallen through Pharr, Mercedes, Brownsville, there are dozens of RV parks for winter texans. Most are near the highway and the road noise is unbelievable.
You can actually buy a slip there, and rent it out when not there to recoup your investment. Tiny homes are acceptable. If any rig falls below the high standards of upkeep, your asked to leave the property. No trash campers allowed.
Propane trucks circle the place once daily in case you run out, and teams of Mexicans come around if you want to wash your entire RV starting with the roof, down to the tires/rims. Then they use Mothers Paste Wax to do the entire rig. $130.00 for the full deal.
My Tundra was needing detailed. Same crew came over, hand washed, dried, waxed the exterior and detailed the interior for $40. Took them less than an hour, and they moved on to the next job. Did a danged fine job on the detail.
Now I remember that they did buy the slip. That must be the place. They put a "park trailer" on it. Basically a mobile home, albeit smaller than normal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom